Not Happy

for anything else that doesn't fit.
AnnNos
Job Title: Science Assistant
State/Location: NSW

Not Happy

Post by AnnNos »

I came in this morning and the computer wouldn't work. Our TSO came down and took it away. It seems the hard drive has died. It was an old computer with Windows XP.
I've been given an updated machine now with Windows 7. My laser Jet printer will now not connect with the new computer (tooooo old). So I have to print to the print room - different block, 3 flights of stairs.

I've been doing labels so I get the label ready, go to the print room and put in the labels sheets, leave the draw open, go back downstairs and press print. Go back up to the print room and find my labels with history information all over them.

I've been told I won't be getting a new printer until probably week 6 next term. Should it be this hard?
sunray18

Re: Not Happy

Post by sunray18 »

I used to have to do similar - print to the Principal's secretary's printer ..down two flights stairs, across the grounds .. to find she was cross because she had put letter-headed paper in it..
must be the month of computer meltdowns! my folder that has ALL the school's chemsafety in it - MSDS, mini, hazard register, risk assess etc... suddenly duplicated itself- but the duplicate folder only had 1/3 of all the files in it.. then my boss decided he would fix it, and deleted the wrong folder - so I was left with only 1/3 of all the files.. fortunately the IT guys got onto Sydney and got the back-up from the week before and put that onto the server for me. phew...
BUT Friday, I would have a file up with all MSDS print one document, and the screen would then disappear - empty of files. IT guy was here for about 1.5 hours beefore I went home and left it to him..
I am not game to look yet to see if I have a week's stress leave or not.
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

My computer died too a few weeks ago.
So I am BYOD my own MAC lap top from home each day. Its a pain, but it means I am not disconnected from the world.
Don't know what I would do if i didn't have my own lap top. Run to the library to use theirs?
I can print to the B/W printer in the prep room, but can't print any SDS's as the bulk of them means i need to print to the office copier..and i can't get that from the lap top.
That task is on the list of things to do for now.

4 long weeks til holidays girls - we can do this!!
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Ann,

I'd accidentally buy a $20 one from Big W with petty cash, until they get you a proper one. :thumbup:

I accidentally bought a microwave once. Oh and a "thermal heat transfer unit" that as well as performing Latent Heat experiments, also, completely coincidentally, makes coffee. :w00t:
Cheers, K 8-)
AnnNos

Post by AnnNos »

Great idea Smiley. I think I'll do that.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I tried for years to get an air-conditioner in my prep room.. ONCE I actually got the purchase order signed by the Head of Science - because I had put into the order for Physics "heat transfer unit'.. as I raced off to the office to get the order dealt with, she realised I had conned her... sigh.. took me another two years to get one.
curie

Post by curie »

sunray18 wrote:I tried for years to get an air-conditioner in my prep room.. ONCE I actually got the purchase order signed by the Head of Science - because I had put into the order for Physics "heat transfer unit'.. as I raced off to the office to get the order dealt with, she realised I had conned her... sigh.. took me another two years to get one.
I have a little blow fan on the floor. :-(
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

We needed a fan for Biology pracs. Just so happened that the "fan" I bought also happens to be a heater. This prep room is freezing in winter with an undersized heater installed. So my "fan" comes in handy on those really cold mornings. The one I bought is also much easier to store than a fan and it was the same price.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

This prep room gets fiercely hot in summer - I have logged it at 43 degrees, and so cold in winter.. there is only the spray on cork ceiling between me and the iron roof.. no insulation. They did put in an air conditioner but put it close to the outer wall and it blows straight down onto the sink.. great if you are washing up! To get the air to circulate we then have to put on the ceiling fans - okay in summer but not so good in winter - so we still wear coats in our prep room.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Last week I had the wall heater running for two hours and it was still only 16 deg in here. At least at takes a while to warm up in summer as I'm on the south side of the building.
AnnNos

Post by AnnNos »

Merilyn1
Have you tried turning the fans on in the room? They only need to be just turning. I found that all the heat was sitting up against the ceiling while I was cold down below.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

I should give it a try - or move to the ceiling! Thanks for the tip :)
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Fans used to have blades that you unscrewed and turned over for winter so they blew out not down, that circulated the warm air .
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Our ceiling fan at home has a switch for summer or winter. We like to refer to it as the "good" and "evil" switch - a Simpson's reference for those dedicated followers :)

Incidentally I did try the fans in here and it certainly helped, so thanks AnnNos!