Storage of Chemicals

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
TritonX
State/Location: NSW

Storage of Chemicals

Post by TritonX »

Hi All!

I've just started this job and I have all chemcials stored in the same cupboard in alphabetical order. :?

I have left it the way it is for now since I have very limited space. I want to sort them but I'm sure about the regulations with chemcials. I do have the CSIS package but I haven't really a chance to sit down and read it.

I was going to start with the flammables and acids. So my questions at the moment are:

1. Does an acid cupboard need to be ventillated and locked?
2. Can sodium hydroxide solutions (<5M) be stored on shelves or do they need to be locked away?
3. What is the general layout of your prep rooms and labs regarding chemcials?

I would appreciate any advice you guys may have on this topic.

//EDITED by adam. Reason: Make topic subject more descriptive.
juliem

Post by juliem »

Hi David
If in doubt check with Head teacher or come onto the Forum
What is the store room layout like?
Do you have a seperate vented Chemical storeroom, or is it a combined room for general equipment and chemicals ( this room should be vented with an extraction unit).
Don't physically alter your Acid Cupboard .Is it OK?
Yes NaOH solutions are OK on shelves ,I have very rarely needed anything stronger than 2.5M NaOH (for Biuret test)
Could you visit one of the HS nearby, Fairfield met the CSIS package years ago when I worked there, also Westfield HS I helped out there,Fairvale HS should also be very good as Steve Nuggent who provides the St Marys workshop session (Ref the home page info) on the CSIS package moved from Fairfield to Fairvale ??
A start would be a culling of old , contaminatd /suspect, or excesive quantity of the chemicals ,follow the Appendix D advice - MAKE A COPY AND USE TO MAKE NOTES RE LABELS, QUANTITY DISPOSAL etc
Use seperate photo copy boxes with DISPOSAL + Class designation for those to be collected hopefully by DET 2006
Dispose to sewer I prefer not to do too many and definately only similar types eg CHLORIDES one day, then NITRATES another etc follow the recomendation
This could create more storage/ seperation space.
Hope this is a helpful start initially it is daunting
TritonX

Post by TritonX »

I have a storeroom that has an extraction unit but this room is used to store general equipment. I have 2 prep rooms, though 1 is not in the same main science building. Since space is a problem I think that's why the previous lab asssistant aranged the chemicals in that way.

Thanks for sheding some light on the topic. :)
judygee

Chemicals.

Post by judygee »

Dear TritonX - Start by getting rid of all unwanted chemicals - you may be able to wash some away, evaporate others, send others off with your regular chemical salvage service.
Very important you use the CSIS package (Appendix D) to guide you with the disposals.
This package will also be very helpful with the sorting - what you can store together and what not to store together. So you will now
probably find you need storage for flammables, acids, oxidising agents, Poisons etc.
In my prep room I have a large Flammable cupboard, an Acid cupboard, an Oxidising agent cupboard, Poisons and Corrosive cupboard and a general store cupboard and find this is quite adequate.
Re the acid cupboard, the one I have has its own built-in filtration system and ventilation. You do not need to do anything further to the cupboard. I usually lock mine at the end of the day.
Hope this has helped. Cheers. Judygee