Risk Assessment

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
kimmy68
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
State/Location: NSW

Risk Assessment

Post by kimmy68 »

#-o Hi there can i ask where do I find anything regarding that it is compulsory to do Risk Assessment for experiment in a NSW Government Dept School.

thank you in advance for this.

I know about how to do them and about Risk Assess which we use, just wondering if there is anything that states information regarding legal requirements for all of this.
:thumbup: It is a new Year with New Teachers and just want correct information.

KIMMY :coffee:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: Risk Assessment

Post by Labbie »

Hi Kimmy68 I do not think there is any thing on that, I would be very interested if there is. The DoE put out the CSIS and the teachers should do a RA in there head. I agree with new teachers we need something.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
kimmy68
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School

Post by kimmy68 »

Labbie wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 12:40 Hi Kimmy68 I do not think there is any thing on that, I would be very interested if there is. The DoE put out the CSIS and the teachers should do a RA in there head. I agree with new teachers we need something.
Thankyou I did not think that there was anything offical about it but thought I may have missed something.

KIM
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Legislation states that the PCBU must manage risks - so identifying hazards, rating the risk of those hazards and then taking steps to control the risks. This is done by doing a risk assessment which is prepared by the person undertaking the activity (or in the case with children - the person running the activity). The PCBU should ensure risk assessments are being done and provide training to staff to ensure workers know what their obligations are.

There is nothing in legislation that says government departments, including schools, are exempt from these laws.
labbassistant
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollongong High School

Post by labbassistant »

I'm not sure if this is necessarily valid anymore since CSIS is 20 years old, but I found this in our hard copy of appendix D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

I tell my teachers that they need a Risk Assess becasue if something happens and a student is injured that they are responsible (not me). I also remiind them of the new workplace manslaughter laws.
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Post by Marama T »

What new workplace manslaughter laws?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Marama T I also had to goggle that one. Very interesting indeed.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub: