Potassium Hexacyanoferate Solution

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
chemical
Job Title: SASS
School: Karabar High
Suburb: Queanbeyan
State/Location: NSW

Potassium Hexacyanoferate Solution

Post by chemical »

I recently posted asking anyone about Corrision solution. I have recently taken over at a NSW high school.
The chemicals are all sorted to regulations. And for the life of me I cant find the Postassium Hexacyanofeerate solution, Does anyone know what catergory it might be under.

I need to make some corrisve solution for a corrision experiment in year 9 Science tracks with nails.copper etc.

The chemical side is my challage.

Recently several staff moved a lot of equipment from one part of the school to the main science block. But no one logged where the stuff was so you guessed it a mess. It takes a long time to find equipment. So I am now going through the rooms and store rooms to allocate every item.
I dont know where to start.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Hi, Potassium Hexacyanoferrate III or II???????????, is know in the CSIS page 202 as Potassium Ferricyanide, it is a Red powered. You will need to know if it is III or II, most important. It is Non Classified chemical. safe to use with 7-12 years, so will have a green dot on the bottle. It should be stored in the Non Classified system in Alph order. Good Luck

Regards
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Hi Chemical

Potassium Hexacyanoferrate (II) is also called Potassium Ferrocyanide. Potassium Hexacyanoferrate (III) is Potassium Ferricyanide. Does that help? I have never used it before.

Julie :oops:
Robb

POTASSIUM FERRICYANIDE

Post by Robb »

Hi Chemical,

I think we are on the right track for your chemical,

Potassium Ferricyanide is a solid chemical that requires to be made up into a solution.

Usually for the experiment that you wish to perform the solution would be made up as a Saturated Solution.

This means that if you require 500mLs of the solution you can fill a beaker with this amount of water and add (with constant stirring) enough Potassium Ferricyanide until no more will dissolve.

You probably can’t find the chemical as a solution because it has to be prepared as a liquid first.

Potassium Ferricyanide is a Class 9 Chemical - this means it falls under the category of a Miscellaneous Dangerous Good.

I hope this helps in your answer.

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Alice
State/Location: WA

Potassium ferricyanide

Post by Alice »

Hi Chemical

We use Potassium ferricyanide (Potassium hexacyanoferrate) as a rust indicator. Not sure if this is what you want?

We use a 0.1M solution, made up from powder.

The colour changes from yellow/green to blue in the presence of rust. The students rust a nail in salt water in a test tubes and then add a few drops of indicator to the water. It turns blue.

I hope this is of some help.

Alice
lada

Re: Potassium Hexacyanoferate Solution

Post by lada »

This is promuch to late, but we use the method in Track 9 and works very well. Make the agar solution with pot. hexacyanoferrate(III).
Good luck,
Lada
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Re: Potassium Hexacyanoferate Solution

Post by Ocean Breeze »

The formula of the one you want is K3 Fe (CN)6
Potassium Ferricyanide.
Its also known as Potassium Hexacyano Ferrate III

The solid is a deep rusty orange crystals..(reminds me of sherbet). (as opposed to the ferrocyanide , which is pale yellow)

Just make up a solution of a nice rich colour.
When added several drops to the test tube, it will start off pale yellow-----> then turn blue at the rusting site(to indicate)----------------------> then will clear again as the K3 Fe (CN)6 is used up.
Hope this helps.

Last bumped by chemical on 11 Jul 2007, 21:39.