Risk Assessment Sheets

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Risk Assessment Sheets

Post by Voice »

I am interested to know what States require Risk Assessment Sheets to go out with all practical classes that are using chemicals.
I would also like to know who prepares these Risk A/S.
In Victoria, we are required, by law, to supply Risk A/S with all chemistry practicals.
What happens everywhere else.
Maree
:unsure:
Marjan
State/Location: NSW

Re: Risk Assessment Sheets

Post by Marjan »

Hi;
I do R/A for those pracs involving chemicals, not only chemistry but Physics or Biology classes which use copper sulphate or 0.1M HCl...or even salt where students are told it's as NaCl!!!! And forms have to be signed by HD.It's compulsary for all schools and I believe in all States.
Marjan
ri

Post by ri »

Hi all,
our Practical Request Forms, on A4 paper that is taped to the prac tray, incorporates the Risk Assessments involved in that prac, whether it is for biology (microscopes, pond water, etc) physics (electricity, van der graaff, etc) or chemistry (chemicals).
As the teacher submits the prac request, (each teacher has his own form colour) it is already signed and dated by that teacher.
This form is archived after the prac as a school record of that teachers preparation for the class.
It takes a load off the technician as the responsibility for the prac is with the teacher the moment it leaves the prep room.
It is working extremely well!
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

Hi all

The teachers do the risk assessments here also. They provide a risk level number on
each prac request; 1 being the lowest risk etc. Its all in the hands of the teachers.

All prac sheets are filed after they are finished with.

Cheers Nicky :coffee:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I believe the CSIS package states, in NSW that the teacher do the risk assesments sheets, I do the filing of them, and get them out, I even type them up, but only once the teacher has completed them and signed by the Head Teacher, do I start typing on them.\Page 20-24 in Volume 1 All Schools K-12.

Regards
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
KimFenley

Post by KimFenley »

Hi
All Here is my Risk Assesment form I did for Teachers. Tried to make it a tick and flick style to make it easy for them.

Kim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rell
State/Location: VIC

Post by rell »

Thanks Kim your style of form is easier to use than mine. Now i can create something teachers can fill out with ease
\:D/ rell
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Hi Kim, Well done, it is great lay out, tick boxes, are just the way to go.

Thank you

Regards
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Hi,
As far as I know if you doing experiment as per book, risk assessment is already done (only in the case of injury has to be revised). If experiment are designed by teacher then risk assessment is filled in by teacher ONLY. Risk assessment is valid 5 years, if any injury has to be revised. Maybe I am wrong.
I designed Risk assessment that is incorporated with order form, this way they do not have excuse.
By including lab tech. calculations in the form I can do it only once and I am off the hook for as long as they do same experiment.( I am very lazy bu*** )
In the case that I am away anyone can follow calculations and instructions without any problems. It is pain in the neck to do it but once when you finished it will save you heaps of time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jazz on 06 Jun 2007, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Jazz
Alice
State/Location: WA

Post by Alice »

Hi Everyone

In WA we are not required to provide Risk Assessment sheets.

Sounds like a lot of extra work.

We have a Chemical Register and MSDS's, which Staff can consult. Here, the onus is on the teaching staff to know the risks involved with any prac they order. This, of course, is usually not the case and the Lab staff have to explain the risks involved with the chemicals used in their pracs.

Alice
pkij
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Good Shepherd Catholic College
Suburb: Mount Isa
State/Location: QLD

Post by pkij »

Here is a copy of the risk assessment form we use. It is mainly tick and flick to make it easy to use, but it is the teachers responsibility to complete. There are hazards aside from chemicals so we have tried to incorporate these aswell. After seeing other RA here, I may modify this to include "hair tied back" as I often notice students with hair going everywhere! I am WHSO for the college so I can approve the RA and offer suggestions. I dont know how often teachers check MSDS sheets when they do a prac but if something is particularly nasty I will discuss its use with them beforehand.
When completed the RA is filed and I will put a copy on the science folder on our college network.