Best wishes to all affected by Hunter Valley storm

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie
State/Location: NSW

Best wishes to all affected by Hunter Valley storm

Post by lizzieb »

Hi to all of you who live or work in the Newcastle/Hunter Valley/Central Coast and Sydney's Northern Suburbs/Northern Beaches. Hope you & yours got through OK. Hear many schools are closed. My elderly parents live at The Junction, some flooding, but thankfully alright. 2 sons at Collaroy, also OK. A friend from here had to abandon her car in Glebe Rd, Newcastle. What a weekend!
Having personally experienced flooding in Ourimbah some years ago, before moving here, my thoughts are with you, and the big clean-up ahead. Blessings to you all.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Re: Best wishes to all affected by Hunter Valley storm

Post by Lis »

Hi Liz, I have lived on the Central Coast my whole life and I now live at Ourimbah (for the past 9.5 years), I have seen floods, and we have been flooded a couple of times in the past, where we cant get out our driveway, we live on 2.5acres, but nothing like this one. This flood on the weekend was devastating for many, our neighbours had water through their house, another neighbour lost a car, another who runs his business from home lost machinery, trucks and cars. We fared pretty well compared, we lost our ride on lawn mower, water tank, trees,garbage bin and our beautiful guinea pig, Carrot.The water was about 5inches off coming in the house. Our cat and dog didnt know what was happening and the chooks perched themselves high, so they were ok. I have friends who are still without power. My thoughts are, as yours, with all the people who have lost their propertys, animals and family, it is truely sad. I think the SES are amazing as with all the other emergency services, they seem tireless in these situations dont you think?
Well we have to keep smiling and do what we have to do, and I think my star was shining on me and my family on the weekend, I hope your relatives and friends continue to be safe
take care Lisa
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Re: Best wishes to all affected by Hunter Valley storm

Post by lizzieb »

Oh, Lisa dear,
Best of luck with the aftermath. In the early 90's water came through our home, not too deep, thankfully, just lost many precious things in boxes on the floor (photos, etc) - but everything in the garage, where it was chest deep, thankfully not the car.
I travelled Nth for the w/end - while driving home last night listening to the ABC heard that 13,000 (yep!) calls logged to SES up to 8pm Monday. Volunteers came from all over the State, Vic & Qld to help. Stay strong. You live in a wonderful town. We were blessed with wonderful friends & people from all over the area who came to help, it was amazing. Look after yourselves and your family, especially down the track when the shock settles.
On the funny side, 6 weeks later, we were sitting in the loungeroom (in the centre of the house), and felt a a 6' black snake wriggling between our feet. Could only have come in with the flood! 6 children under 13, and my husband has a phobia, so guess to had to catch it!!
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!