Expanding Roll

for anything else that doesn't fit.
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Expanding Roll

Post by Slartibartfast »

Hello All!
We had some good news yesterday at our faculty meeting regarding our ARC which houses a very modern fish farm. I'm told it's only 1 of 3 in NSW Government schools, it's state of the art and until Monday was run by our computer co-ordinator who did have an interest in automation and aquaculture but has run out of time to do it properly. This has now passed totally in the control of the Science Faculty here and they are also starting Agriculture/Primary Industries also (from scratch) in the 2 acres at the rear of the fish farm. What I would like to know if possible, do many of you labbies get involved in such things (I did at my old school in Ag - it's an interest I have) and what sort of help financially from the school and possibly outside do you receive - if any? It's going to be expensive for Ag to start from scratch but I'm REALLY looking forward to it! Wyong H.S.'s Ag plot was very well run and almost payed for itself by selling product - all totally above board when done correctly but this is a way off for us yet!
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo
State/Location: NSW

Re: Expanding Roll

Post by Mother »

Our Agriculture and Primary Industries faculties have their own budgets and are separate to the Science budget.The only time I have anything to do with Ag. is when they need to use a lab.for microscopes and slides and sometimes for dissections. Ag. is not associated with Science otherwise. As far as I know our statement of duties applies to Science only.
Cheers
Mother
Vick
Job Title: Lab Assistant

Post by Vick »

We have a 32 hectacre Ag Farm at Mulwaree High School. The farm has sheep, cattle, alpacas and poultry. Also, the crops include, pasture, berries, herbs, fruit trees and a agro forest. Their is also a Field Studies Centre.

The Science Head Teacher is also the Head Teacher for Ag. Ag has its own budget, with sub disections, eg. seed/fertiliser, stock, feed, minor expenses, petrol/oil, text books and ag profit.

The school employees a Farm Assistant 3 days per week. We have a classroom dedicated to Ag. where bookwork and some pracs are done. I get all equipment ready for pracs which are done in the classroom, and maintain the accounts book.

Vicki
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Great News SBF! :D
I am very happy for you... nothing like a new challenge or interest in the job.
I used to work as research asst in Dept of Ag in Uni (in UK). Many years ago. Loved it.Amazing stuff...chickens, sheep, tapeworms, pigs, aphids- parasitic wasp natural control etc.

More recently in high schools, I worked as a lab/ag asst. in one place.. , Yabbies in a bathtub sunk into garden and small veggie garden plot. I didnt get involved with the chooks or bees though... not my area. I did the shopping for the seeds/plumbing etc
I reckon if they will allow you to be involved, jump in there if you can afford it time wise.
:D
RS
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Tapeworms? They'd need a good few acres! Were they free range? No sorry, I'm being silly. Talk about diverse. The Ag farm is going to be a big challenge from scratch, lot's of school ag farms of various sizes here on the Central Coast to aspire to and we've got a good sized area to work with - we're all looking forward to the challenge and variation.
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

Hi Richard,
If you are starting up new in Ag and aquaculture maybe you could check out some information on aquaponics, very interesting and can be done on a small scale, we are trying some with our marine studies class. There is a site on the web about aquaponics based in WA ,don't have the name at the moment but try google and it will come up.
Ballina high school on the far north coast have been doing aquaculture for quite a few years and have a good set up.
Estelle
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Great! Thanks for the ideas guys! :D
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F