Science Assistant Courses

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga
State/Location: NSW

Post by Loopy »

Hello viewers,
I love this site and all help/suggestions/guidance given. My boss is really great but as busy as a trout swimming upstream. He has given me approval to seek/attend science assistant courses but I am not quite sure where to look (the previous assistant having been in the job 27 years and knew lots then left the state).
I would desperately love to have the opportunity to learn, meet with, and become better at my job and I am 'jealous' of those of you with areas that can coordinate things together. I have taken on board the local levels that are being achieved and will attempt the same thing first opportunity in the Riverina (just a bit late for me to achieve over these holidays).
In the meantime, is there anything formal out there that anyone knows of - or what's a good place for me to keep checking?
Robb - you seem a man of exceptional experience and knowledge, any suggestions for a bushy in the south?
All suggestions gratefully accepted and thanked in advance
Lou P.
JudyM

Post by JudyM »

Hi Loopy,
Knowing what you're doing & why you're doing it makes the world of difference.

I completed the Biology Technician Certificate - 2yr F/T & upgraded to the Assos. Dip App Sc ( Biological Techniques) before I got the job here.The only things I didn't learn at TAFE were geology & how to fix physics equipment!
All the subjects except one were done at the UNE & perhaps CSU offers such a program with TAFE. Even externally would probably be better as you've already got experience.

I'd contact TAFE & CSU for a start. I have a friend who was doing an external technicians course through WA TAFE I think.( but will find out for sure)
Cheers
Judy :)
yves
State/Location: WA

Post by yves »

Hi Loopy,

while waiting to find a suitable course, why not do a bit of lateral thinking and visit a couple of interesting websites which contain plenty of tips and solutions to some frequent work dilemmas. Here they are:

http://www.rtg.wa.edu.au
http://www.labnetwest.asn.au

All the best!
yves
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Training

Post by Ocker »

Hi Loopy
NSW TAFE run a SLACS course ( Thats Science Lab Attendants Course)
It 's possible they would do it by correspondance with you attending a bloc for practical sessions
If you get no joy from your local TAFE contact Robyn Kraniac at Newcastle Tafe[/b]
Robb

Hi Lou

Post by Robb »

Hi again Lou,

Just to reiterate what Ocker has mentioned regarding the Science Lab Assistant Course. The details of which I am sketchy as I have no need for this training but everyone whom has posted here have excellent details regarding this information. (I hear on the grape vine this course from my colleagues from network meetings, the aspects of the course and what is involved). The problem being whether there is any means of completing this back at your work place, as you are a fair distance from Newcastle.

I’m not sure on this, if there is anyone whom has completed the course via workplace modules or by other means to reduce or eliminate the need to travel constantly this will be advantageous to know.

This is a training package set out to alleviate doubts or confusion that may be faced as a Lab assistant but of course there is other means of gaining information as we have already discussed..

We are all here to help, Good to talk to you again….
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Presto

Science Assistant Course

Post by Presto »

Hi
I completed the School Assistant Science Certificate 111 through the Tafe system.
I enrolled in the course at Ourimbah Tafe and was able to complete all modules in the work envirnoment. To do this your Head Teacher Science needs to be prepared to sign off on all modules completed and then a representative from Tafe comes to your school at numerous times and signs off on the completed modules.
This system was great for me as I was already working in the system and had prior training and was able to be signed off some modules at the start.
This course is also available by attending Tafe for two years part time.
I hope this information helps.
Mary
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

Thanks everyone for the good advice and direction. I will look into the options and pass on what I find out. In the mean time, thank you all for being there!
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Hi Loopy
I am attending a course at Loreto College in Normanhurst, in November this year. It is called Job Skills for School Assistants Working in Science. Goes for 3 days and fulfils the main requirements of the TAFE certificate course. I don't know if there are any more openings for this course but the email address I have for contact is margaret@nowt.com.au . Coming from a very small school on the North Coast we are fairly isolated and don't have great access to this kind of thing, so am hoping this will be of benefit.
Julie
=;
rp

hi

Post by rp »

Hi Loopy
I have only been in the job for a few years but am Science trained but us girls get together (north west Sydney Region) a couple of times a year and brain storm and talk about any problems we have or where you can buy things etc.
It has been very good as you meet nice people and realise you arent the only one that goes through things.
I have had so many useful tips ,maybe you could get a little group together out there and do the same thing

bye Rhonda
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Hi there Lou,

Any chance you could get to the 2006 Science SASS Conference held on 23 and 24 November at St Marys Senior High School (in the western part of Sydney)? I attended the conference in 2001 and 2004 and it was excellent in every way. If the school can finance you it is definitely worthwhile. Many lab assistants came from all over NSW and stayed overnight in nearby motels. See details on the home page.

Kind regards,

Robyn
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

Thanks Robyn,
I would love to attend, but I will still keep checking if there isn't some thing sooner.
Lou P.