New DG Class

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore
State/Location: NSW

New DG Class

Post by Robdean »

We've just received an order of sodium silicate (waterglass) and I notice that this chemical is now classed as corrosive (DG class 8). I checked the Chemwatch database but it is still listed as NDG! I've now stored it with the corrosive chemicals. Has anyone come across any other changes for relatively common chemicals we may all be using?
Robdean

Re: New DG Class

Post by Robdean »

Sorry, don't know why the "smiley" came up when I pressed 8 for DG class - gremlins in my computer??
Robb

Post by Robb »

Hi Robdean,

Sodium Silicate is not a Class 8 Chemical, although - it forms a basic solution, the conjugate base does not warrant high concentrations of the Sodium Silicate to have a dangerous goods class of 8.

I hope this has not confused you, but this topic has been plaguing us scientists for many years. It will never change.

cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Robdean

Post by Robdean »

Thanks Robb, for that but why then has the manufacturer put the corrosive 8 diamond on the product?? It's enough to confuse anyone - when do we believe what is then on the container?? We've never considered it to be corrosive before!
jat

Post by jat »

Sodium Silicate has a fairly high pH approx 13. That is probably why the manufacturer rightly or wronly classes it as a corrosive!!

John
Robb

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

Your input certianly shows that you are all diligent when changes take place, and from a OH&S perspective it is the right way of handling things.

The manufacturer has probably placed a Corrosive label on the product for a more stringent handling process, eg, transportation etc. But as I mentioned before the product is alkaline although the pH is approx 13 the base is still a weak conjugate type which means the solution is weak.

I hope that last bit did not confuse you.

Look at it like this, the manufacturer has placed a label on the product then use the product like it deems to be.

That way you look at the chemical as a more dangerous type which is usually good because you "expect the worst".

Cheers,

Robb.....
Last edited by Robb on 09 Aug 2007, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typographic Error
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Robdean

Post by Robdean »

Thanks for all your feedback on this; it's much appreciated.