Design of new laboratory.

for anything else that doesn't fit.
susie
State/Location: SA

Design of new laboratory.

Post by susie »

Our school is designing a new laboratory. Would like some feedback on works really well in your school or what you hate about it and would like to change. Ideas on storage and prep areas and the laboratory would be welcome.
Marjan
State/Location: NSW

Re: Design of new laboratory.

Post by Marjan »

Hi Susie;
A dumbwaiter is a MUST. That's all I can think for now.
Good luck
Marjan
Kath

Post by Kath »

We have "heat mats" built into our work benches. We find that this works really well.
Cheers Kath
Alice
State/Location: WA

Post by Alice »

Hi

3 years ago, we had a new lab built adjoining the existing prep area. Be sure you have input into the meetings with the architects and builders. You need to make sure that things you take for granted in a lab are actually on the plan. eg stainless steel sinks are chemical proof, not domestic grade or they'll rust. In WA, the gas and power outlets are around the perimeter of the wall. They are both governed by the same safety switch. That is, you cannot have the power points on without the gas being available(dumb idea). eg Cleaner turns safety switch on to use power for vacuum cleaner, student left gas tap in on position, the room fills with gas!! The architects thought this was a great idea, but very expensive to rectify once done. Make sure shelves for glassware are on the plan. Racks for trays. Plenty of cupboards, drawers, drainage racks for washed glassware, pin-up boards. Make sure the teachers front bench has space underneath for their legs when they sit down. Laminex tops of benches must be chemical proof. Do you need a fume hood? Air conditioner? Heater? First Aid box? Fire extinguishers/blankets?

I can go on and on. Is this what you want to know? Please let me know if you want more info. The bottom line is, if it is not on the plan and not written down on the plan, then you don't get it! Also, don't assume the architect and builder know about Science labs, because they don't. I found unless you tell them the specific requirements for your State, you'll get a whole heap of problems.

Alice
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Hi susie,

Our labs were built before technology became so popular so our internet connections in the labs are on one wall and there's not nearly enough of them (4). We have laptops that we use in the class rooms (5). Make sure you think about things like internet connection and data projectors, screens etc.

Hope this is of some help and good luck very few of us would get the opportunity to plan our own work space.

Lorrae
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Post by Jen1 »

Hi susie,
As well as talking to the architects it pays to ensure that the builders actually do what's on the plan too! I joined this school when it first opened in 2001 and noted that I had only a single sink and thought at the time how silly, why didn't they put a double in, there was certainly room. Later in the year I happened to get a look at the drawing plans and yes there was supposed to be a double sink installed and when I notified the registrar she said it was too late to do anything about it. So, the lesson is, keep an eye on everything that is being done, just as you would if you were building your own home.
My lab has lots of cupboards and shelves and a big set of drawers, but the drawers only fit in the particular drawer space they were made for. So, it is impossible to swap drawers around. Apart from that, everything is great. Hope everything goes well for you.
Cheers
Jen
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

Hi,
I don't know whether you are designing for the class or prep. area but I have attached one of my walls of equipment that is part of my prep. area. I would not live without it.
If not for your prep. area, maybe something similar could be developed for the classroom.
Good luck
Maree \:D/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pkij
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Good Shepherd Catholic College
Suburb: Mount Isa
State/Location: QLD

Post by pkij »

Where do I start! We refurbished two years ago, going from one science lab and a dungeon (aka prep room) to three labs and two prep rooms. Firstly don't assume the architect knows about science labs, our original plans had acid stored at eye level :oops: . The architect was a bit condescending about changes I suggested and wanted, I mean how would I know I only work here!, he did raise his eyebrows when I requested a double sink, a deep sink and some bench space for preparation :w00t: . The list goes on but now we have 2 labs with benches around the rooms and desks in the middle, and one lab with long benches (that students sit at also) which was meant for mainly senior classes, so is a bit harder to manage for some teachers of junior classes. I think the benches around the room work better and would not recommend long benches.
Everything has to be checked, we now have a power point in the middle of a whiteboard and the gas taps are not central on the bench, the network points for computers are not where we requested. But I was not able to do anything as it was all signed off by higher powers and some things were never fixed.
But I did get a dishwasher, gratnell storage, proper acid and flammable cabinets and a much bigger, air conditioned (we often have 40 degree days in summer and all I had was a fan before) and light prep room.
Hopefully your architect will be helpful and as everyone has said think of all aspects of what the science dept. wants and good luck! If I can be of any more assistance please let me know. :thumbup:

Pilar
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Some things I wish for but don't have are a sink big enough to wash a 2L measuring cylinder and a wall mounted draining rack near the sink. Also, make sure shelves are the right size for storage. We use the plastic dropper bottle trays which hold 10 and fit perfectly on our shelves. Also, a teacher here says they wish they had the benches around the outside (which we have) but with carpet on the central area where the desks are so they don't get the noise of the chairs scraping all day. I'm sure there are more things but a lot have already been covered by others. Oh! and also a place to put draining racks in each lab so the kids can wash up themselves and don't put everything away wet in the cupboards!
Happy planning!
Rosalie
labman

Post by labman »

Hi Susie,
Most of my likes/dislikes have been covered, but a few things worth mentioning are; if having safety equipment or chem room installed, make sure that it is able to be plumbed in,that ,if need be, ventillation can be installed, and exhaust/vents can be connected to flow outside.(a few mistakes made with this here)
Also, I have a compactus to store all my bits and pieces. I have glassware in there as well(in boxes)I also have a compactus in Physics storeroom for all the physics equipment. I find these a fantastic way to store everything within easy reach, easily labelled and numbered for stocktake, lockable, and don't take up heaps of room. I do know other labbies that are not fans, but I love mine!
Cheers,
Lisa
ri

Post by ri »

Dear Susie,
just read all the above very briefly and did not see a mention of a fume cupboard - (especially in the prep room). Our number one scientific safely tool!
Get as many built-in ones as the budget for your building will allow.
Good Luck and have fun designing your new workplace!
~Robyn
susie

Post by susie »

I am overwhelmed by so many responses to my query about lab design, thanks very much for all the info. It seems as if I need to talk to the architects in depth about specific needs in science. The ideas that you have mentioned have given me food for thought. I found a lot of very interesting ideas and particularly liked the storage tray idea. I'll get back to you about the progress, early days at the moment.
Thanks for all your help
Susie