Universe Practicals

for anything else that doesn't fit.
KimFenley
State/Location: NSW

Universe Practicals

Post by KimFenley »

Robb

Other than the Balloon prac for the Big Bang to explain the expansion of the universe are there any other pracs that you know, as the Teacher have been asking me, and for the life of me, I can't think of any other than PC based exercises.

Kim
Robb
State/Location: NSW

Re: Universe Practicals

Post by Robb »

Hi Kim,

Certainly, There is the Vortex Experiment. One of my favourites and best for the Demonstration of the Black hole.

What you need is:

1. Rubber Swimming Cap
2. Flower Pot (around twice/three times larger than the swimming cap), but quite deep.
3. Cork (Wine Bottle) and a piece of wood 150mm by (as long as the base of the flower pot and around ten cm longer though).
4. Plastic Cable Tie (the ones which lock each time you pull them)
5. Fishing line (or String (capable of holding a lot of tension)).
6. Small metal eyelet (screw in hook)
7. Screw (for fastening the wood to the base of the flower pot.

Place the cork inside the swimming cap (positioned carefully in the middle of the cap and place the Cable Tie over the outside of the swimming cap but over the cork about half way up the cork itself and secure this tightly.
Stretch the swimming cap over the flower pot and place the cork inside the stretched swimming cap and secure it to the middle of this cap and place .

Obtain the flower pot and screw the piece of wood to the base.
Then Screw the Metal Eyelet at one end of the piece of wood (this will act as an anchor point to tie the string off with).

Tie the string of fishing line over the Plastic Cable tie securely and thread this through the drainage holes of the pot and through the Metal Eyelet. (Don’t tie it off yet).

Then stretch the swimming cap over the opening of the flower pot so that the cork remains inside the swimming cap.

Once this is don’t tie some string/fishing line over the rim of the pot to prevent the swimming cap from stretching back off the rim.

Then pull the fishing line attached to the cork/swimming cap tightly and secure this now to the eyelet.

This then makes the vortex identical to that of a black hole.

Now to demonstrate the theory behind all of this, use a 5, 10, 20 cent piece and roll this around the outermost inside of the swimming cap and observe its motion towards the vortex where it can be demonstrated that objects get pulled in towards the centre faster than if they were towards the top. As well as this Gravitational forces also become greater towards the centre.

I hope this has been fun and informative for you...

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **