NSW "Dot" system...

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Jimmyted
State/Location: NSW

NSW "Dot" system...

Post by Jimmyted »

Dear All,

I am writing to ask for help/direction on implementing “the red dot, white dot system” on chemical labels in NSW schools. Where do you find the rules/protocols for this? Where do you purchase the appropriate labels etc?

Thanks again,
J
Steph

Post by Steph »

I have never heard of this system. Where did you hear about it? Steph
jo
State/Location: ACT

Post by jo »

CSIS (Chemical Safety In Schools) By NSW Dept of Education has a colour coded system. Should have these folders somewhere in the school.
Steph

Post by Steph »

Hi, I know about the the CSIC system. It's the red/white dot thing that puzzles me. Steph
Jimmyted

Post by Jimmyted »

Thanks, i am aware of the CSIC standards, but have not really implemented it. The "red dot" etc was the fact that each chemical has to have a colour label that classifies it etc.

Just wanting to know if there was a condensed version that i can read and where do you actually get the labels from?

Thanks for the help!! This is a great idea.
Steph

Post by Steph »

There isn't a condensed version as far as I am aware. A black dot = not for use in DET schools, red = teacher use only, orange = yrs 11/12, green = yrs 7-12, blue = primary - 12. The dots can be bought at newsagents in packs of 1050. As to which chemical has which label, you'll have to read Appendix D.
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Dot System

Post by Mother »

Chemical Safety in Schools (CSIS).Volumes 1&2.
This is compulsory to have in all NSW(State Schools that is!) Any information regarding the dot system is covered in Volume 1.The Department of Education and Training has directed that it be implemented.
If you don't have it in your Science dept.,ask your Principal or Deputy Principal if they have it and haven't passed it on to you.You really do need it.Makes great reading!!!! 8O
Cheers Lee