Victorian Lab Techs

for anything else that doesn't fit.
SueH
State/Location: VIC

Victorian Lab Techs

Post by SueH »

Hi Folks,

Given that there seems to be some interest in discussion regarding the proposed changes to the LBT -Branch STAV I have opened this topic here.

Personally I am in favour of the proposal to disaffiliate from STAV and my only reason for starting the topic here is because there is obviously quite a few people who wish to have a balanced discussion about the matter and discussion on the list serve has been disallowed by the president of the ltb.

So, for anyone interested - more particularly Victorian Lab Techs. discuss away freely.

Cheers
Sue
Sue Henderson
Laboratory Technician
Cleeland Campus - Dandenong H.S.
Dandenong 3175
VIC
ph: (03) 8792 7200
fax: (03) 9791 3220
amanda

Re: Victorian Lab Techs

Post by amanda »

What are the legal problems about discussing this vital issue, if the Lab techs do not have a Constitution, why can not we accept proxy votes, some of us, the Labcon is cost prohibited to attend both days, or travelling to the city....may be the Labcon should be outsourced to regional areas, eg Bendigo, lakes Entrance , every 2 years or so...even Wondonga this may open it up to NSW lab. techs. It is idea that might work...
amanda
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

In Tasmania we have a seperate Laboratory Technicians Assocation, which is as far as I know not affiliated with the Science Teachers Assocation. I mean its a whole different situation in Victoria with the distances involved. We usually hold a annual meeting/get together which we make in the middle of Tasmania somewhere [(Usually it is in Ross but this year its in Poatina), most likely doesn't mean anything to anyone who doesn't know Tasmania]
Voice

Post by Voice »

HI Sue,
I am not an individual member of STAV and as such don't know what the issues are. I personally would not join the AEU because it is essentially a teacher union; Therefore conflict of interest if there is a dispute between teaching staff and laboratory staff.
Please let us know what the issues are.
Thanks
Maree
SueH

Post by SueH »

Hi Maree,

There really are no sinister issues here -at least not that I am aware of when posting this initally - but a brief rundown is that the Laboratory Technicans Branch has for many years been a branch of STAV (Science Teachers Association of Vic) STAV have basically left the LTB to their own to run the branch as we see fit there has been no membership fee paid but Victorian Lab techs have on registration be a part of the LTB and have received a quarterly magazine (Lab Talk).

For some reason STAV have now said we cannot continue to operate like this and we have the choice of 1/ becoming a "special interest group" of STAV in which case the Lab Tech's Committee will act only in an advisory role to STAV but STAV will have control over LTB - and I assume their funds too. 2/ disaffiliating from STAV and becoming a separate organization in which case Lab Techs would be required to pay a membership fee we currently do not do.

There was a special edition Lab Lines put our earlier this week and there is a full explaination in that including the rationale of the committtee in their actions. There will be a vote on this matter at the AGM of the Lab Techs Branch which is held in conjunction with Labcon later this month.

I do not have any problem with anything the Committee has put forward or with the path they favour in this matter. What I do have a problem with is that any discussion on the matter over the Lab Techs email list has been disallowed and there are several people who would like to discuss the issues probably only to help clarify the position in their own minds. We are told there are legal implications in discussing this matter but I would have thouhght that any matter should be open to discussion.

I hold no position on with the Lab Techs branch and my posts on this matter are simply to give people an avenue for discussion to understand the issues.

Cheers
Sue
Sue Henderson
Laboratory Technician
Cleeland Campus - Dandenong H.S.
Dandenong 3175
VIC
ph: (03) 8792 7200
fax: (03) 9791 3220