Earth tremor

for anything else that doesn't fit.
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS
State/Location: NSW

Earth tremor

Post by J »

8O Did anyone on the NSW North coast/tablelands feel an earth tremor around 10.30 - 11.00pm yesterday? We felt it here in Dorrigo, and others say in Bellingen too. Anyone know where I can look on the net to find any record of seismic activity?
I would appreciate any information that may be out there.

Julie
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Re: Earth tremor

Post by Ocean Breeze »

yes, contact
http://www.ga.gov.au/hazards/earthquake/feltreport.jsp

Years ago when we had a tremor in Newcastle(a while after the biggie), I contacted local authorities
They said that it wasnt a tremor as it didnt register on their seismograph equipment, nor in Canberra.
The fact was that people in neighbouring subburbs also heard & felt the rolling rumble, as the wave moved from NW to SE. I was ironing at the time, my board shook first, iron fell over, and things went"rocky" underfoot. A split second later, I heard the crockery rattling together at the other end(SW) on my house. Whole thing only lasted just over a second. I have cracks in my celing, and broken floor tiles on the laundry to prove it.Just a small compared to the trauma we went though in the Big Newcastle Quake... but now I am experienced in what a quake tremor feels like.. it is unmistakable.

I figure that their equipment wasnt working.
JudyM

Post by JudyM »

I live at Uralla and I didn't notice anything unusual.
I'd be interested to hear how far it extended.

Judy :)
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Thank you Barbara for the website. I have submitted a report and will let you guys know if I hear anything.

Julie
Ocean Breeze

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Good Julie

That website is more recent than my tremor way back. I think that they now may be collecting such reported data to get a clearer picture, rather than just relying on the seismographs. Who knows, the SMG may have been switched off that day for repair/renew ink/someone forgot to plug in!!! Stranger things have happened!
CHSC
Suburb: Coffs Harbour

Post by CHSC »

Hi Julie

One of the ladies from the office said between 10.30 and 11pm last night it was really still out side than the windows started rattling for a few seconds and she lives at Boambee just south of Coffs Harbour.

Ramona
Ocean Breeze

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Hi Ramona
remember to get on the site and report it to geoscience. They even want 2nd hand reports