A general discussion and Q & A forum.
pkij
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Good Shepherd Catholic College
Suburb: Mount Isa
State/Location: QLD

chemical disposal

Post by pkij »

I was wondering where you go to get information about chemical disposal. I have a lot of calcium in old metal containers and would like to get rid of some as we rarely use it. Chemwatch is not much help, can anyone help me with what to do or where to look for correct disposal?

Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

Dear Pilar,
I am not familiar with Queensland's requirements. However, I would suggest you get in contact with another local (?) high school, but probably even better, would be the closest chemiistry department of a university. They may even take the calcium off your hands, but should know what company you can use for chemical disposal.
Maree
Robb
State/Location: NSW

Disposal of Calcium

Post by Robb »

Hi Pilar,

The safest and effective way of disposing of Calcium is to firstly dry the Calcium and free it from as much paraffin liquid as possible. Then add this to a container of Ethanol. This will dissolve the calcium with out liberating any Hydrogen Gas.

This disposal technique can be used for Sodium, Calcium, Calcium Carbide.

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
coxy

Disposal of chemicals

Post by coxy »

I contacted the local council and they told me to take it to the local tip - mention to the guy on the gate that it was unwanted chemicals from a school. I did that, and for no charge I can offload my unwanted stuff. I have to have less than 12 bottles at a time, packed in a strong cardboard box - labelled "unknown chemicals", and I leave it all just near the car batteries.
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

I use NQ Resource Recovery. They have a contact address in Cairns, but I understand they cover all NQ. I just listed all my chemicals - Organic Waste, Heavy Metals etc, and they came and packaged them up and disposed of them for me. I understand all the Catholic Ed colleges around here use them, and probably the State ones too. There would hardly be two services like that up here. Contact No is 07 40552711, or 0412 527 538.

Another suggestion from a teacher who came here from Weipa is contact the liaison officer at the mines. They have literally tonnes of material to dispose of, and can sometimes take school chemical waste as a PR exercise.

Cheers, Kristin
rosiegbh
Job Title: SAO/Lab Assistant
School: Wyndham College
Suburb: Quakers Hill

Re: chemical disposal

Post by rosiegbh »

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has heard anymore info on the DET chemical collection that is supposed to be done this year?
I have lots of old containers and don't know whether to hang on to them or orgaise a pick up through the school.

Rosemary