professional learning program for laboratory assistant staff

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah
State/Location: NSW

professional learning program for laboratory assistant staff

Post by estelle »

Just in case lab assistants in the North coast didn't get a flyer.
A two day workshop is to be run ( providing they get at least 10 applicants) at Port Macquarie 26 & 27 November and at Ballina 30 Nov and 1st Dec.
I have attached the flyer that was sent to me.
Anyone new to the science area would undoubtably benefit from this and also as a refresher to other labbies. I think this is the first training that I have seen offered in the four years that I have worked in science, hopefully there are enough applicants to get this one up and running and maybe give the department some incentive to offer more.
Estelle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
estelle

Re: professional learning program for laboratory assistant staff

Post by estelle »

Forgot to say it costs $220.00 but you might need to explain to the money holders at your school that $220 is small price to pay for knowledge for your safety. (OH&S issue.)
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Thanks, Estelle - that's very interesting. Haven't heard anything about that officially from our end. Good to see things happening.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Vick
Job Title: Lab Assistant

Post by Vick »

This seems to be the same 2 day course being conducted by the Curriculum K-12 Directorate that I got a flyer about which is being held at Bomaderry (Illawarra Region). Unfortunately, I didn't keep the flyer because I am unable to attend.

Maybe someone at NSW DET now realises that Science training is necessary, pity it wasn't offered a few years ago when I first started as a Lab Assistant.

Vicki
Mulwaree High School
Goulburn
estelle

Post by estelle »

Update information I just received.
Sent: Wednesday, 9 September 2009 3:00 PM

Dear Colleagues,
I would like to clear up the confusion in regard to this course.
On registering, you will notice that you are informed that your school will be billed $220.00 per participant for this course. You will however, be reimbursed by RSRG, as there will be no cost for SASS staff to attend.
Please feel free to contact me should you require further information, and I apologise for the confusion.
Kind Regards
Sharon
https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/k12workshop/
Schools will need to have purchased the new Working in Science Manual – available for approximately $100.00 Participants should bring this document to the workshop.

For further information, please contact Ric Morante, Senior Curriculum Adviser Science 7-12
Ph: 02 9886 7679
E: richard.morante@det.nsw.edu.au

Sharon Restall
RSRG Administration Co-ordinator
NSW Department of Education & Training
North Coast Region
Phone: 66235911 Fax: 66235917
sharon.restall1@det.nsw.edu.au
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Have had time to have a look at the flyer - our Region is also looking into organising 2 of these days. The proposal put forward at our RSRG meeting this week (of which Search & I are members) is for one in Tamworth and one in Inverell, most likely Week4, Term4. I'll make sure the details are posted on here once everything's finalised.

My understanding is that this is the practical component that we were told was to be delivered concurrently with the issue of the new Handbook for School Assistants Working in Science. Good to see it happening!

As with Estelle's region, NER RSRG will be covering course costs.

We have also suggested some Science mentoring days be held at a central location in our Region, with the aim of providing some smaller hands-on workshop opportunities - more specifically targeted at those new to labland and/or casuals working in Science.
More on that as we hear more, but fingers crossed.

While speaking of RSRG, the current New England Region committee's 2 year term is coming to a close, and nominations for anyone wishing to serve on the next committee will be called for in November. We have been lucky to have Science assistants on the 2 committees locally so far, and I'd really like to see that continue. My own reason for serving was to try to improve the profile of Labbies within the department, especially in terms of raising awareness of the responsibilities involved in our work, and the lack of training available. This committee is responsible for organising training opportunites in each region - so if you are also keen to see things change, here's your chance to get involved, have your say, and see improvements happen!

A quick bit of background on the committee – it is made up of SASS staff from all the different categories ie. 1 of each of the following:
SAMs - HS, PS and Small Schools
SLSO’s - from HS and PS
GA
AEA
SAO’s from HS & PS
1 extra SAO – FT, Science or Library, if possible
Regional Office Representative
PSA Representative (SASS)

Please think about getting involved!
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Hi All
Can I just say that I have been to this and you will need to buy the new book at a cost of about $90.00 first.
He will bring some but the DVD that comes with it is OK I found some errors so maybe just share if you can first.
This is the guy that told us that you do't have to so RA as the dept has done them for you.
Noona
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
coxy

Post by coxy »

I have also noticed in the list of "Topics investigated" the following items:

1) New upgraded prep-room overview - most of us are not even listed for upgrades; and since very few of those who HAVE received an upgrade get no say in the matter of changes, what is the point of this topic?

2) Risk assessment - isn't this something that the teaching staff need to complete?

3) Limited equipment care tips and resources - what does this involve?

4) Unusual chemical orders and handling as per local need - what does this mean?

I note also that we will be reviewing the new 'working in Science' manual. Will the presenter be aware of the errors in the DVD, and be able to point out to participants those errors?

It appears that most of the 2-days sessions are just "chalk and talk", which could possibly prove tedious to both new and experienced lab assistants. How much hands-on prac work will be involved?

Has anyone out there in Labbie land completed this course recently; your comments would be appreciated.
rosiegbh
Job Title: SAO/Lab Assistant
School: Wyndham College
Suburb: Quakers Hill

Post by rosiegbh »

Hi
I attended the first course back in February when I had been a lab assistant for 18months and found it very helpful. As it was the first official training from the det I was encouraged by my school to go. I bought the new working in science book (this is essential for the course). It has a CD rom and DVD that goes with the manual and this is useful. As Noona said there are some mistakes but overall it has helped me. Plus pretty colour pictures of equipment.

The two days covered all the aforementioned topics plus a little on chemwatch. I found the two days good for me as I could ask questions about areas that I was not sure of. Having worked in science for a while I had a little understanding about the job and these guys helped clarify some things especially with chemical storage and appendix D. It was also seen as a networking exercise. Getting to know other labbies and building connections.

I don't think that we get enough opportunities for professional development and I would encourage everyone who has the opportunity to go. Just a shame it is on the St Mary's conference days as they are fanastic.

Rosemary
Louise

Post by Louise »

Hi Eveyone In the Hunter/Central Coast (NSW)
Just to let you know that my position on the RSRG Commitee will also come up for nomination ,if anyone is interested in applying please email Yolanda. I will stay in the position until someone shows an interest.

Also if anyone has some ideas for professional development please email me. The next day I will organise will most probably be Chemwatch as we have been notified that RSRG will be financed again for another year.
Louise :wub: