oxidizing cabinets

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
sues2
Job Title: lab manager
School: st josephs school
Suburb: port lincoln
State/Location: SA

oxidizing cabinets

Post by sues2 »

Just wondering what other schools do with oxidizing chemicals?
Ours are currently separated and sitting on cement-lined open shelf...do we need separate cabinet of these? :?
ta sue
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Re: oxidizing cabinets

Post by fibreweb »

Ours are separated from the others by several metres, but are just on the shelf in packing groups.

My acids and alkalis are on the wooden shelves with a ceramic beehives under each one. Above 1M that is, the dilute stuff is just on the bare shelves.

My chemical store is not ideal, but is not too bad. I do have a flammable cabinet and a continuous extraction fan.
The excess glassware is also stored in the chemical store room.

Wendy
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Re: oxidizing cabinets

Post by Rowyrow »

Mine are on an open shelf all on their own . My Guidelines don't make a specific reference as to where/how to store them just where no to store them i.e. with corrosives, flammables or next to reducing agents
Actually thats pretty silly looking over my guide lines we have Zone 1 General Chemicals,
Zone 2 Flammable Substances, Zone 3 Sponaneously Combustable Substances, and Zone 4 Corrosive Substances and they all say don't store Oxidisers here......hmmmmmmmmmm oh wait except for Zone 1 which says "not to store strong oxidising agants next to strong reducing agents' ah I think I just answered my own problem :crazy: I guess thatmeans they go in zone one, think I will just leeve em where they are