for anything else that doesn't fit.
cactus155
Job Title: Senior Laboratory Guru
School: Bayview Secondary College
Suburb: Rokeby
State/Location: TAS

Lab Clear Out

Post by cactus155 »

I was just wondering what schools have done regarding science pracs. to allow people time to clear out prep. rooms/labs etc prior to renovation?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Re: Lab Clear Out

Post by Labbie »

We only have me, experments are still going on, I have been packing up since Aug, Due to start re-fub in Jan/Feb. I manage a little each and every day. started to pack up things that we do not use so often. But they have been used over and over again. I find a home for that box, labeled etc, then it is ordered for an experment, so back it comes to the prep room. I had a chat to the cleaners, said please only empyt the bins, Do not clean. I have two trolleys for packing up, one with empty containers, boxes etc. It other with completed boxes and containers, which I find a home for in our equipment or chem store room. It is hard going, I have started on the display cabinets, and posters. No one is giving me a hand, but then No other school received a hand either, so I just get on with it. Wish they would stop the experments, but no such luck.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

When we cleared out we ran normal classes up until 1 week before handover, then we packed up 4 labs and 1 preproom in a week. I had All classes except any important senior classes helping. We packed it all in a shipping container and spare store rooms. I was also given another casual SAO to help for that week. At the time it was chaos, :crazy: with kids asking what they could do next, but by thursday morning I was just doing minor things. We were also able to leave alot of throwout stuff in a pile to save the schools waste collection as they gut the place anyway.So they got rid of it for us. We collected packing box's to pack it all in and the drawers from the old labs ( which were good as they were labelled and stacked on top of each other.)
Thats how we did it, and to unpack I was able to do it at my pace by unpacking a box at a time.
Trish. :D
dime

Post by dime »

Except for the HOD (who has a problem with her brain) they have pretty much stopped experiments. The staff decided to do topics this term that do not require experiments. Whilst the refurb will go into next year, I think they will decide to do similar topics next year. I am moving stuff from my preproom to the 2 labs that aren't being done. No help as yet, but we haven't got a start date yet. Maybe soon know, if HOD decides to tell me! :unsure:
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

dime wrote:Except for the HOD (who has a problem with her brain)
:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: Dime, you'll get me in trouble here! People will wonder what I'm laughing at :grin:
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

Dime, knowing your head teacher she'll probably tell you the friday before they are due to start :hitthefan: You don't need to know "teacher" stuff like that!

We handed over our first 2 labs at the end of 2nd term and the next 4 at the end of term 3. We wern't allowed into the new labs until day 1 term 4. I had hoped to be able to move from the old labs straight into the renovated ones but that didn't happen.

For the upgrade of our first 2 labs all the gear fitted into existing store rooms, but for the other 4 labs we needed to hire a shipping container.

I started clearing old stuff out of store rooms to make way for the equipment from the labs from the beginning of term and then at about 2 weeks before hand over I said no more electricity pracs and moved out all the transformers ( we have the old heavy silver things). Then I moved out most of the other stuff just leaving about 10 beakers, test tubes etc. Then for the last week it was no pracs at all and got help from various classes to carry the stuff to the storage container.
I had one very helpful young man, one that always seems to be in trouble in class that was fantastic. He has an incredible sense of space and seemed to know instinctively what would fit where.

Make sure that things you may possible need are close to the front of the shipping container. Our teachers descided they wanted the Senior micriscopes and as they were one of the first things in it was a bit of a struggle to get them out again :banghead2:

My hardest thing was getting the teachers to sort and remove "teacher stuff" like old paperwork, ancient text books and junk. By that stage I was getting rather :club: :crazy: :w00t: and had decided it wasn't lab assistant stuff and I wasn't going to move it!

You must insist on help, even if it is just students.
Wendy
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

This is all a learning curve for all of us.
The first thing that i can recomend is get a container.
Throw away anything that you dont need.
Paper work that is not needed get rid of
:w00t: If it is at a teachers desk it is not your problem

I got the teachers here to do as many experiments in the term leading up to the renos (i know that sounds crazy) so than there is not many while the renos are happening.

Start making the container into a store room and put stuff in it that you do not use on a regular basis. I have not gone into my container since the renos started. As all experiments were done last term and it is mainly theory this term. Try to organise your teachers as best as possible. I know that is easier said than done in some cases.

Dont expect to much help but when it is offered take it. I was lucky i got help from what teachers I asked :thumbup: - some i did not ask as i did not really want there help #-o . The students are the best help.

Anyway just remember it will be worth it in the end.

KIMMY
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

The teachers here tried to organise so that whilst the reno was happening very little prac work had to be done, hence very hectic before hand :crazy: We had pracs up to last period on Weds, whilst the builders were chucking stuff out of the windows of the other labs :clap3: Had to be done as it was for year 10 assessment. As four labs were done first, some prac work continued in the other two labs, lots of timetable rescheduling so that everyone got a go in a lab! 8O And I kept working in my preproom with a hard hat on! MariaC
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

We had 4 labs done initially and tried to timetable essential senior prac. work into the other 3 labs. I spoke to the teachers a few months before and asked them to swap around the order of junior topics so no chemistry was done with juniors during the time the 4 labs were out of action. I then kept out a few things that they needed for the topic they were doing. Most of the teacher were fine about that but I still had a couple who kept ordering things that had been packed away.
As for moving all the equipment I had an extra person for a couple of days but got no real help from anyone else. It was a nightmare. The girls here don't get asked to do lifting as one girl hurt her back once carrying something for a teacher.
Our school decided they didn't want to pay for a container and I had to try and fit stuff in spaces all over the school and now that I am trying move it all back in I can't remember what is in which cupboard.
My advice is get a container!
Now that we have moved back into 4 of our labs. it does seem worth the effort but I still have three labs to move stuff into when they are finished in a couple of weeks so will be looking forward to the holidays.
Good luck.
Helen