Spending $10,000

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
rosiegbh
Job Title: SAO/Lab Assistant
School: Wyndham College
Suburb: Quakers Hill
State/Location: NSW

Spending $10,000

Post by rosiegbh »

After my paper towel issue I have just found out that our faculty has been given $10,000 for new equipment following a science revue last year :clap3: :clap3:

I was wondering what would be essential items to buy apart from usual general equipment considering this is a senior high school. It is quite overwhelming to have so much money and we have been told to spend it by Week 1 Term 2.

Hope you can help
Rosemary
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Re: Spending $10,000

Post by smiley »

Spending Money!! Yay!

Have you thought of a portable fume hood, a computer microscope, a fact finding excursion to Vanuatu :thumbup: you know - all the important stuff. Maybe you could organise a reef trip and come to Cairns for a week. $10,000 should just about cover it.
Cheers, K 8-)
rosiegbh
Job Title: SAO/Lab Assistant
School: Wyndham College
Suburb: Quakers Hill

Post by rosiegbh »

Hey smiley the idea did cross my mind. :D

Marine studies do need a little hands-on experience and I could just tag along. Though would prefer a week on Bedarra island but don't think $10,000 is enough. :-)
Judy R
State/Location: QLD

Post by Judy R »

I would recommend a video microscope,video flex,data loggers,water testing backpacks....to name just a few.
Update your Physics equipment....check out the Pasco stuff
dime

Post by dime »

How about a smart board? have no idea what they cost. Data projectors, speakers for same. Are your vacuum tubes OK? New CRO?
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I would probably recommend data loggers (if you don't already have some). And get as many probes as you can. Pasco has some really good ones (well, they look good - still waiting on our budget approval before I order some - the probes that is) which measure several things at once. Good for a variety of subjects (chem, phys, bio, ag, marine studies, geography (you can get gps sensors too) and probably other subjects too.) and beneficial to all science staff and students. If you are buying in bulk and spending that much money you might be able to ask for a discount, too :) I think we had about that amount a few years ago and set up 5 data loggers with i think 10-12 probes each.
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

SEND IT TO ME!!!!! :clap3: :clap3: :clap3:
Last year I put in a budget proposal for the science dept for equiptment and was approved for $25,000 ( dont forget we are a brand new school so when I started last year we had NOTHING) , then I was informed that all science text books needed to come out of that money aswell so I lost $10000 to text books. :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I think you need to prioritise...
FIRST - make sure you have EVERYTHING in your prep room you need... aircon, massage chair, cappucino machine, spa bath... I could go one and on..... :cheesy: