New Dropper Bottles

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury
State/Location: NSW

Re: New Dropper Bottles

Post by vlclabbie »

WOW you've all sold me on them. I'm sick of the rubbery bits not doing their jobs right!!!!!!!!
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

I have had these plastic dropper bottles for years. The screw top lid has been an improvement on the original top. The most recent screw tops are better still as the others tended to split. When I buy these bottles I also buy bags of extra lids to replace the old lids (made of white plastic) that are splitting or to replace the lids which are damaged by students screwing the lids up too tight. I have used these bottles for virtually everything from conc. sulfuric acid (extremely small amounts) for the Y12's, to iodine, silver nitrate and potassium permanganate. Some bottles deteriorate over time with varying chemicals and the iodine diffuses into the plastic losing its strength and making the bottles black. I check the contents of the iodine dropper bottles before handing them out in case the solution needs replacing. Interestingly if the iodine bottles are placed on white plastic trays to send to the classroom the trays come back stained with yellow from the diffused iodine. Needless to say I also have trays just for the iodine. If you have your stock solutions in glass containers and just dispense what is required at the time of use in plastic dropper bottles it works just fine.
Lyn.
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Post by Jen1 »

Does the Stull cap fits the old amber glass bottles??????????
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

They are so good no more KI in the Pb bottles and you can see if they are 1/2 empty or is that 1/2 full :giggle: and no more perished orange droppers :clap3: :clap3:
I have 2M Hcl in mine and no worries
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

Jen1 wrote:Does the Stull cap fits the old amber glass bottles??????????

yeah they do, the narrow opening ones, but you can't squeeze the bottle to drop, so you kind of get a 'dash' of liquid, not a drop, if that makes sense (just tried it with water!) :oops: