Chemicals in Cars

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Chemicals in Cars

Post by Voice »

Chemicals in Cars........... Yes we do it when buy our own needs for home but we should never do it for work especially if they are flammable. Check out ninemsn as it has a story on a young hairdresser whose life is over because of hydrogen peroxide, smoking and being in the car. Accidents do happen. But we need to lessen that possibility.
Maree
Narelle01
State/Location: NSW

Re: Chemicals in Cars

Post by Narelle01 »

Sad, but clearly she was not so smart...smoking in the car while carrying chemicals...????
And she also was carrying it in the front on the seat....she was almost doomed from the start!
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Narelle01 wrote:Sad, but clearly she was not so smart...smoking in the car while carrying chemicals...????
And she also was carrying it in the front on the seat....she was almost doomed from the start!
I agree, the sad thing is, ask any Hair dresser about the training they have had in the dangers of the chemicals they use, (apart from it's use & mixing it) I think the answer is none, let alone any form information like we have at our fingertips. But they are expected to use it every day :redcard:
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I couldn't find the article... Can someone post a link to it?
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

You are right Rosalie. Ninemsn have quickly taken it off their website. Anyhow, here is the guardian newspaper article.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/mar/2 ... -car-death

I hope you get there.

Maree
ri

Post by ri »

Hi All,
I was under the impression that H2O2 cannot be sealed tightly as the gas needs to vent. Our hydrogen peroxide comes in bottles with a covered hole for venting. Do others have the same??
Have a great and well-deserved Easter break!!
~Robyn
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Yes, that's true, it does need to be open. From what I understand it releases oxygen as it breaks down to oxygen and water and this needs to escape to avoid pressurising the container. Oxygen is highly flammable, as we all know.
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

You will notice H2O2bottles have a breather hole in top, I know a fellow who carried a bottle in his boot it fell over, alittle bit leaked onto carpet an caused spontaneous combustion and burnt his car out