Chemical Storage Questions for OHS Audit

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie
State/Location: NSW

Chemical Storage Questions for OHS Audit

Post by lizzieb »

If you are NSW DET and have, or have in the past, had questions relating to chemical safety, MSDS, stocktake, labelling, codes, etc. would you be so kind as to post them here, please. However, even if you are not from NSW, or at a Govt school, post anyway.

I am most interested to hear all the comments on this topic, as I have been asked to continue doing one day/week exclusively on this for the OHS committee as we work through the OHS audit requirements.

I talked again at length to someone from Regional Office on Monday, saying 'Having been given this rare time and opportunity, I've just got to make the most of it to learn as much as possible, so that it can be passed on for everyone's benefit" - then panicked afterwards thinking What on earth have I got myself into! and Can I do this?

So after much thinking, and some time attempting to correlate past posts to show and discuss with those in the Dept. (whom I hope will mentor me through this process), I’ve realised it might be much easier to ask you all for help, PLEASE.

Just remember, I’m not guaranteeing we’ll get answers - I am simply determined to use this opportunity while it’s timely.

My part in the process is solely the chemical storage, but perhaps as this is so topical, it might be worth thinking about creating another stream to list other OHS questions - so that we are ready when the opportunity arises to ask them, too. It's a huge job to try and find all the aspects that we've discussed over the years, so I'm thinking let's be proactive and prepared!

Many thanks in advance for your help and support, everyone.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Re: Chemical Storage Questions for OHS Audit

Post by RosalieM »

Good on you, Liz!! Maybe our questions will finally be heard - and with a bit of luck they'll be answered as well! I'm not DET so I'll save mine till some others have had a go so that they aren't dismissed as 'non-DET'.
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

Hi Liz

Do you have a copy of the Australian/New Zealand standards, Safety in Laboratories, Part 10: Storage of chemicals.

I am sure all the information you need will be in there. If you need a copy I could send or fax it to you.
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Thanks, Rosalie - my HT doesn't think I'm likely to get a lot of help, so we'll see.... At least I can ask.

Thanks, Nicky, that sounds great - I'd love a copy!
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

I'd like the question of whether we need:
* a full copy of the MSDS for all our chemicals ( all 327 of them)
and/or
*Mini MSDS ( this is what I have and that takes up 2 full lever binders!)
and/or
*Access to them at all times via the internet such as Chemwatch
Answered.

There are numerous views on this from various sources and I don't know which is the accurate one.
jodye
Suburb: central coast

Post by jodye »

I am on the OHS committee here & science is a nightmare! I have some tricky questions that I haven't been able to find answers to such as ;
do we need to have emergency lighting in prep rooms & storage areas?
are the power points,gas points & taps a safe distance apart from each other?
do all science staff need to know first aid?
have light fittings been checked for possible leaking Polychlorinated Biphenyl's?

We have a check list of 206 OHS questions that must be ticked yes.

Another question was that all science staff provide a proper example of correct clothing & footwear that is to be worn. how do you tell teachers who have been in the job for 25years that they can't wear the shoes they wear?
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Hi, we do the following, I'd love to see a copy of the 206 question check list, never even heard of checking the light fittings. :coffee:
Mini MSDS - only have them if they require full then they can access Chemwatch
First Aid - All staff are trained, not just science
Emergency lighting - only in prep.room
Shoes - no shoes no prac, teachers, assistants and students. HT has enforced