A general discussion and Q & A forum.
agregory
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Townsville
State/Location: QLD

Vinegars for titration

Post by agregory »

Hi everyone,

Each year we find it harder and harder to get different types of vinegar with different % of acetic acid in them, which also have the % listed on the bottle. All vinegar seems to be around the 4% - 5% mark.

This year, we've been asked to supply white, white balsamic and apple cider vinegars from the SAME BRAND to make it a fair test, plus the % of acid must be listed on the bottle!

Possible???? #-o
RosalieM
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Re: Vinegars for titration

Post by RosalieM »

Wow - perhaps if you can't get it with % on the bottle (I don't think I have ever looked for it!) you could contact the manufacturers and ask for MSDS which should have it written there somewhere. Then you could laminate the relevant page and store it with your vinegar. That's my only thought. Usually we just do 2 brands (one cheap, one expensive) and do a comparison. They usually come out pretty close. I have even just made my own and stuck it in an old bottle when we ran out and I forgot to buy more!
agregory
Suburb: Townsville
State/Location: QLD

Post by agregory »

Thanks Rosalie.

Not many come with the % on the bottle, so we've had to find it on the MSDS or manufacturer's website etc.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Post by Labbie »

Make it up with acetic acid, we never buy vinegar. I'm in the Library just now. But come Monday I could sent you amounts needed for 1% 5%.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub: