Tubing for Bunsen Burners

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
gwen
State/Location: NSW

Tubing for Bunsen Burners

Post by gwen »

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know the specifications for tubing for LPG bunsen burners?

Q Stores couldn't help.

Cheers,
Gwen
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Re: Tubing for Bunsen Burners

Post by Mother »

Hi Gwen
For safety reasons you need to use clear plastic tubing for the bunsens as the rubber tubing perishes and splits very easily.Students find it very easy to put pin holes in the tubing which is dangerous when the gas is on.The lab tech.I replaced had a very nasty experience when the gas escaped through the tiny holes which she didn't see.Q Stores Item No for the tubing is: 998470.It tells you the tubing is for Bunsen Burners.
Hope this helps you
Take care
Mother
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore

Post by Robdean »

Yes I thought we were advised to use clear tubing for the reasons you mentioned but the last time I ordered clear tubing, Q Stores sent me the RUBBER tubing instead. When I checked the catalogue (mine is 2006) the tubing listed for bunsens was the rubber not the clear. The rubber is 8 mm internal diameter but the clear doesn't come in that size. Has anyone found a supplier for the correct size clear tubing?? Thanks.
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Post by Mother »

Serrata catalogue has vinyl tubing in 8mm size for bunsens.If you don't have a catalogue, the phone number is: 02 9651 2031 or web site: http://www.chemtalk.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=451
Cheers
Mother
gwen

Post by gwen »

Thanks all for replies.

We have been using clear plastic tubing for 23 years but the Q Stores catalogue threw me when 8mm clear tubing is not advertised. They say 8mm rubber is used for bunsen burners.

We'll continue to use clear tubing as it has been very satisfactory. However I have seen rubber tubing on bunsens around some labs in this area so wasn't sure if the plastic was OK.

Thanks again,
Gwen
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

Same here. Q stores sent us the brown 8mm tubing when clear was requested and yes we've had trouble with the rubber perishing very quickly as the gas inside seems to dry/chill the rubber and make it brittle.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

We use the vacuum rubber tubing, with the 3mm thick walls. The rubber doesn't perish very quickly, and it's much more vandal-proof than the plastic tubing. Mind you, surprising though it may seem, that type of vandalism just doesn't seem to occur in this all-girls school anywhere near as much as other co-ed schools I've worked at in the past. Maybe we're just do more interesting stuff in class, so they're never bored? Yes, that must be it!

Cheers, K 8-)