Safety in Laboratories Training Course

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga
State/Location: NSW

Safety in Laboratories Training Course

Post by Loopy »

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has heard about the "Safety in Laboratories" course running over 19th and 20th June at Ravenswood School for girls. I think my boss is keen to get me in having missed out on the CSIS course last year.
Anyone else going?

Lou.
CC
Job Title: Labbie
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn

Re: Safety in Laboratories Training Course

Post by CC »

Hi Lou

My boss also thinks this would be good. Does anybody know this EcoSolve group of Phillip Crisp?

Cindy
lada

Post by lada »

Yes, He used to work in Chem dep in Wollongong Uni and now he runs these OH&S courses.I did get an invite, but will not attend( I am taking LSL)
I have attended the same course about 3yrs ago and thought it was worth going to.
lada
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I have not heard of this course. Would you be able to fax me some info? 02 6762 1752 I doubt I'd be able to go, but it is good to know these courses are out there!
Rosalie
Rita

Post by Rita »

Hi
Would it be possible for you to fax me a copy also please? I missed the CSIS last year and haven't heard of another one coming up. My fax is 02 44 231 086.
Thanks
Rita
JudyM

Post by JudyM »

Rita,

I went to that course about 3 years ago. It's about all aspects of safety in labs, from fire safety to ergonomics to chemicals but unfortunately isn't going to get you that CSIS ticket.
He gave some very useful information eg it's safer if you're not wearing clothing when using liquid N2 -
if you spill it on yourself it will just roll off :-|

Generally it was pretty good but there were some questions that went unanswered.
And most importantly the food was yummy :thumbup:

Cheers
Judy
lada

Post by lada »

I do not have the application any more, but may be Lou could fax it to you both.
lada
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

Hi Rosalie and Rita,
I will gladly fax the info to you both sometime tomorrow. Just let me know when you get it.
Lou.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Has any one heard about the online test we can do for the CSIS?????????? Some one at another school, asked me if I had my CSIS ticket, we both did training together. But were never signed out by Charles ( The chap in charge at the time). Has any one any other information on this. Please
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Phillip Crisp is the man presenting the two-day training course. This is what he has to say about himself:

I am a senior lecturer in Chem Sciences and Engineering at the Univ of NSW and, for three years, I was the OHS Coordinator for the Fac of Engineering.

I have a PhD in chem and more than 30 years' experience with chemicals in univ labs. I have been teaching analytical chem and environmental sc for more than 25 yrs, and lab safety for 10 yrs. I have presented safety courses to more than 3,000 people.

I wrote most of the text for the first draft of the:Chemical Safety in Schools" package for the NSW DET, including Appendix D, which provides assessment advice on nearly all the chemicals used in schools.

I am a Director of thge consulting company, EcoSolve Pty Ltd.

EcoSolve is a small family company dedicated to providing high-quality training courses and teaching materials for schools and colleges. The company also provides environmental and safety advice to industry and the legal profession.

Hope this info helps. My boss also wants me to go to the course.

Regards,

Robbie
JudyM

Post by JudyM »

Sue,

The info you need to do the CSIS course is in the CSIS folder Vol 1. The CSIS coordinator at your school should be able photocopy the participants notes for you. In the case of science staff it's sections A, B2 and C2.
You'll also need a copy of the training support resource sheets from 6 - 24. All the info you need is at the front of the manual & you can PM me if you need to.

Cheers
Judy
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Thanks Loopy - I got the fax. Looks like a useful course! We'll see what happens. My HT thinks it looks good too, so you never know! I guess it all comes down to budget...
celia1

Post by celia1 »

Hi Lou
Could you please send me an application form please
and by the way Where is Ravenswood school for girls?

Thanks Celia

Fax 9550 9219
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Ravenswood School for Girls is in Henry Street, Gordon - just a short walk from Gordon station. The course will be in the Assembly Hall, Centenary Centre at the school.

Robbie
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

Hey Celia,
Have just faxed the info off to you.

Maybe those of us from out of town can find accomodation together?

This course may not be the CSIS course but I am looking forward to it and meeting fellow chemtalkers! So Cindy, Rosalie, Merrita, Robbie and Celia here's hoping!

Lou.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Judy, Do you know who can sign a person off on the CSIS??? If I am in the middle of training the Head Teacher, Can you help me??
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

If you don't know the area, have a look at the Ravenswood website, http://www.ravenswood.nsw.edu.au, where you will find a useful map of the area. In the Centenary Centre at the school there is an assembly hall, where our training course is, and also a much larger auditorium.

I hope my school can afford to let me go as I would love to meet some of the chemtalkers!!

Cheers,

Robbie
celia1

Re: Safety in Laboratories Training Course reply

Post by celia1 »

Hello Lou And Robbie

Lou i got your fax, thank you very much and Robbie thanks for the info.
The school is abit far from where i leave but all courses are far.

well i am off to talk to H teacher

Hope to see you all there

Celia
JudyM

Post by JudyM »

Pommy,
If you have answered all the questions in those sections I mentioned, then you should fill in the CSIS personal evaluation & training record sheet which is the very first page of the participants notes.If you don't have a CSIS coordinator as such then you should get the principal to sign as facilitator as well as signing the card at the bottom of the page which you keep. The top half of that page needs to be kept for 5 yrs by the facilitator or the office as a record of who has completed the course.
A few years ago all staff were trained by the science coordinator (everyone did A,B2,C2) after school over 3 weeks but since then I've been copying the notes & staff complete the work themselves. They hand everything back to me so I can check that they have done it & then I sign as facilitator. After the principal has signed I laminate the card & return it & the booklet to the staff member.
Cheers
Judy
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

Hi,
Are we allowed to train other staff members in the CSIS? Do we need special training or something, because at the moment my head teacher is getting time off to go and learn how to deliver the course to new staff to the school. I helped run the course last year with the previous HT.
Estelle.