Protocol for introducing new substances to the work place

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Sassi
State/Location: NSW

Protocol for introducing new substances to the work place

Post by Sassi »

Hi,

Am preparing for being inspected next years and going over all the safety protocols. We seem to have protocols written up for basically everything but introduction of new chemicals. I have been told (this morning) I need to wirte one and give to my head teacher by tomorrow while at the same time I have 3 yr 11 prac exams to prepare plus the normal lot of prac requests :w00t: Its an underestimation to say that I am ticked off with my HT! But I have to get it done, so I was hoping that you may have some tips of what I need to include in this protocol. Any help will bu greatly appreciated :wub:

Thanks,

Sassi
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Re: Protocol for introducing new substances to the work place

Post by Slartibartfast »

This is an example from Viibre laboratories but can easily be adapted for your needs:

The first thing you should always do is read the MSDS - Material Safety Data Sheet. These data sheets will give you vital information about dangers related to the chemicals you are using as well as the type of Personal Protective Equipment you should use. Your protocol designs should take into consideration the information available in the MSDS's of the chemicals used. MSDS's are available in every lab that chemicals are allowed in. If you are introducing new chemicals to any lab you must make sure that the chemical is approved by the head teacher and the lab manager and that the MSDS is inserted into that lab's MSDS book. Before mixing any chemicals you MUST have an approved protocol if there is not one already.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Sassi
State/Location: NSW

Re: Protocol for introducing new substances to the work place

Post by Sassi »

Thanks for the help Slartibartfast! Amazingly I got it all done, woohoo!