enzyme activity

and any other non-chem subjects.
Sassi
State/Location: NSW

enzyme activity

Post by Sassi »

Morning,

We have just done a yr12 prac exam where they looked at enzyme activity by adding 10% hydrogen peroxide to green and yellow capsicum extract. Thing is we havent got the results that we wanted, and I am questioning the method that the teachers decided on. What they did for each of the two capsicum extracts was the following;

Place 1mL of green capsicum extract into a testtube and mark the height, then add 2mls Water and 1 ml H2O2 wait 30sec and mark the height, then meassure the difference b/w marks and graph. Then they did the same with 1ml H2O/2mL H2O2 and then 0ml H20/3mL H2O2. The point being that for 2mL h2O2 you get the most activity, then at 3mL H2O2 it plataues... Although this was not the case this year, it actually just kept increasing Nothing happens with the yellow capsicum extract.

Do any of you do something similar, and what method do you use that actually works?

Sassi 8-)
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo
State/Location: NSW

Re: enzyme activity

Post by rae »

Hi Sassi,

I'm sure we have covered this topic before, if you do a search for enzyme activity.
I do have a copy of a prac called The effect of substate concentration on enzyme activity using H2O2 and liver but you can substitute silverbeet or potato( I think). The prac came from a Titan education- Biology book, the teachers may have a copy. If not I could fax it to you .

Lorrae