Sourcing Rats for Dissection

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Robbie
State/Location: NSW

Sourcing Rats for Dissection

Post by Robbie »

For a number of years we have obtained rats for dissection from the Gore Hill Research Lab. However, they have stopped breeding/supplying these little critters. :cry2:

Any suggestions for an alternative source of supply - preferably somewhere in Sydney? I'm sure Year 10 will be deeply saddened if no rats show up. :-({|=

Hope all who have just had a break had an enjoyable time.

Robbie
lada

Re: Sourcing Rats for Dissection

Post by lada »

We get our rats from Southern Biological
ph 03 9877 4597
They come frozen, packed with ice in polystyrene box.
Good luck
Lada
cactus155
Job Title: Senior Laboratory Guru
School: Bayview Secondary College
Suburb: Rokeby
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

I am not in NSW but when I used to need rats I would ring the animal house at the University of Tasmania, so maybe a local Uni. would a option
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

We get them from Southern Biological too, but we get the preserved rats, not the frozen ones, so it doesn't matter if they don't get used straight away. I keep them in a box in my chemical store.
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

We get those too. Because of our location they can't guarantee the frozen ones will be delivered frozen and in a fit state to use. Unfortunately the preservative they are in is REALLY smelly. :cry2: I'd rather handle a fresh rat any day.
Thank goodness we only have to do it once a year. \:D/

Julie
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

Anywhere that sells reptile supplies. You'd be surprised how many pet stores do. Choice of size and colours too! I know of 7 shops just here on the Central Coast that supply good sized rats/mice. You can have them fresh or frozen but not preserved for obvious reasons. One place I know of breeds their own and they are massive buggers too - good for short sighted students/teachers.

When I went to school, it was part of our yr10 science studies to breed our own then dissect them when they were big enough! Ah! Gone are the days.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

It was the same for me "42", the days where the science teacher gassed the rats. EEwww!

But I am at the age now that I can't stand the thought of killing something to look inside it and personally would pay for the model rat that you can pull apart as if you are dissecting it or a CD! Gutless (no pun intended), I know...

Lou.
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Hi Richard,

can you tell me the pet stores,on the Coast that have the rats, please, for future reference.We have just got a few from Newcastle Uni, they were pretty cheap.Local would be much more convenient.

thanks Lisa
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

ABC Aquaculture in Louisiana Rd breeds their own 4393 3131. Manns Rd Bird & Aquarium supplies (4323 1971) Manns Rd West Gosford has a huge stock of varying sizes. The Aquarium centre at Long Jetty 4333 5088. There are others but these are the ones we've used and are happy with.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Wow, thanks for that I wouldnt have even thought about pet shops, but I will check them out next time

Lisa