Sucrose

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Sucrose

Post by Labbie »

When I started here about 6 years ago. The lady had two lots of sucrose, one from Q-stores and the other from the supermarket. The one from q-stores is 500g for $15.30 todays price. I crs sugar from the supermarket is a lot cheaper at 1kg for $1.40. Is their a reason why we use the finer grade sucrose from q-stores. Would it matter if we only use the supermarket stuff. Perhaps Robb would know this?
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
lada

Re: Sucrose

Post by lada »

I have always used just plain old sugar, does the same thing.
About sugar.. We just had a morning tea :coffee: and I have raw sugar on the tray with tea and coffee for anyone to use. One of language teachers asked:"is this a diabetic sugar" That gave me a good laugh :cheesy: :cheesy:
Lada
rp

Post by rp »

Sue
I reckon its more pure but for what we do,I reckon its good enough.
I do the same with salt.
(unless your doing a really precise experiment)
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

I figure shop bought sugar and salt can't go far wrong. I mean, they'd have to label it if there were any additives in it, so essentially sugar is sugar is sugar.

Reminds me of years ago when I received a "free"sample of a microscope cleaner in a tiny little brown bottle from a science supplies company. The actual product was $12.00 for a 100mL bottle. We used it, and yeah it was great, but it sure smelt like Windex. So I took it off to the ANU Chem Dept, who checked it out for me, and sure enough, it was concentrated glass cleaner. So why go for Q-stores products when you can get the same locally in a supermarket. We do the same with HCl, and NaOH. Except for Seniors titration stuff, the domestic stuff is fine.

Cheers, K 8-)