Any disadavantages with upgrades of Science Labs

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
Cin
School: Narrabri High
Suburb: Narrabri
State/Location: NSW

Any disadavantages with upgrades of Science Labs

Post by Cin »

We are having 4 labs & 1 Prep room upgraded at the end of this year. We have a copy of the proposed plans & the Principal wants to know if we have any concerns about the plans.
So we would like to know from those of you that have had your labs/prep rooms upgraded if there is anything you would change if you could.
1. Are there any disadvantages with the Lab/Prep Rm plans?
2. Is there enough cupboard space for equipment in both labs & prep rm?
3. The area where students sit, is that big enough or is it congested ?
4. Also is there enough room for a class of 30 to do experiments at the same time ?
5. How good are the fume cupboards and are they noisy ?
6. Demo bench dose not seem practical being in the back corner ? Do the staff use it for demos ?

Look forward to your replies

Cindy :wink2:
Robbie

Re: Any disadavantages with upgrades of Science Labs

Post by Robbie »

Welcome back everyone and wow it's winter this week after last week's heat wave!

We are having five labs and one prep room upgraded in July so I would very much appreciate any comments also. Look forward to hearing from you.

We have heaps of storage space in all the present labs and never have to lock up most of the labs. The lack of storage space in the new labs is one thing that concerns us...

Cheers,

Robbie
coxy

Post by coxy »

Would it be possible to have a look at the plans - could they be faxed to me on 65684-0335 marked attention SUE in Science. Do we have ANY say in the matter? I reckon a local handyman could fix my prep room over a week during any school holidays, and it would be EXACTLY as I want, and about one-quarter of the price! That is, of course, IF I were to be asked MY opinion.
chrisanne
Job Title: sass science
Suburb: kempsey

Post by chrisanne »

3 of our Science Labs at Kempsey High are being upgraded - two wet and one demo + the prep room - they are leaving the fourth lab as is!! We had NO say in what was happening - we had a basic copy of generic plans to look at and that was it. The work was to start early in the holidays - they started in the last week! It is a complete mystery as to what the final product will be. There seems to be some major action at last as a lot of prefab benches were in the hallway when I went by on Monday.
Will keep you posted
Chris 8-[