Stannous Nitrate

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Stannous Nitrate

Post by smiley »

Help Help Help! :-(

I've been asked to buy Stannous Nitrate & get it delivered to FNQ by next week!!! 8O

Not a standard item in our usual Supplier's catalogues. Any ideas?
Cheers, K 8-)
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Re: Stannous Nitrate

Post by RosalieM »

I've just put a reply in another thread that may or may not help you out...
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Laugh at the teacher asking for it, reminding him that you do live in FNQ, and such things tend to take a bit more time than a mere week :-) Then to show him/her/it what a wonderful miracle worker you are, you could contact other schools in cairns or even JCU and beg on bended knees to lend you some :-) That's if you wanna be nice :yuck:

Sorry smiley, not so helpful, am having one of those days and I am so furious I am seeing red :twisted: But at least I still have a smile on my face, muuhahahhahahah :crazy:

Sass
smiley

Post by smiley »

Right on Sass. Clearly this teacher hasn't adapted yet.
Cheers, K 8-)
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown

Post by smeee »

Can't find it in any of our usual suppliers catalogues. :mad:
Try these chemical suppliers in Qld :

http://au.vicdir.com/dir/w142359s21010

Hope you can find it :coffee:
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

Not sure that teacher has adapted to the common sense brigade yet either!!!!!!!! :redcard: to you teacher!!!!!!!!!!
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown

Post by smeee »

Tin forms stannic acid, H2SnO 4, when heated in air or oxygen at high temperatures. It dissolves in hydrochloric acid to form stannous chloride, SnCl2, and in aqua regia to form stannic chloride, SnCl4, and it reacts with sodium hydroxide solution to form sodium stannite and hydrogen gas. In cold and very dilute nitric acid, tin dissolves to form stannous nitrate and ammonium nitrate;in concentrated nitric acid, it produces metastannic acid, H2SnO3. Stannous sulfide, SnS, is yielded as a dark brown precipitate by the action of hydrogen sulfide on a solution of stannous chloride. Stannic sulfide, SnS2, is produced by passing hydrogen sulfide through a solution of stannic salt. The two hydroxides of tin, Sn(OH)2 and Sn(OH)4, are produced by adding a soluble hydroxide to solutions of stannous and stannic salts. Stannous oxide, SnO, a black insoluble powder, is obtained by heating stannous oxalate in the absence of air. In the presence of air, stannous oxide burns to form the dioxide, or stannic oxide, SnO2, a white insoluble solid. The dioxide may also be prepared by heating stannic acid or by heating tin metal in air at high temperatures.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

I browsed the net for an MSDS for stannous nitrate and came up empty handed. Found the info that Margaret (Smeee) has posted and some info that this nitrate is not solid at room temperature. I will stand corrected on that if there is any info to the contrary. I think the teacher needs to rethink what is needed for the prac. Plus it is always useful to have a copy of the prac for yourself. It helps when your stuck for alternatives and the more information you can put down when you ask for help also gives others on this site a more complete picture of what is required. Lots of luck in assisting your teacher to refocus. :thumbup:
Lyn.
lada

Post by lada »

I am not too sure, but I think Tin nitrate is either unstable or does not exists in that form, I cannot find it in SI chemical data book.
Check with teacher what he needs it for and may be find a substitute.
Lada :coffee:
Robb

Post by Robb »

Hi all,

Hmmmmm.......

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
lada

Post by lada »

Robb!!!
You cannot leave like that. Give us the answer, pleaseee [-o<
Lada :coffee:
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

I agree, what the ... is hmmmmmm supose to mean??? Please give us a bit more detailed reply [-o<

Sass :giggle:
smiley

Post by smiley »

What do we need it for???....

Well, the little cherubs up here do a Chemistry EEI, where they make electrochemical cells using a variety of metals and their solutions, e.g. Zinc znd Zinc Nitrate. Then they look at the effect of dilution/concentration blah blah blah. The teacher though it would be great if they had all nitrates for the solutions. Sadly, regretfully, I have told him "No" and now he will have to cope with Stannous Chloride instead. Aaah the burdens life endows one with.

BTW, my friends at my favourite supplier found me these terrific voltaic cell kits. We had some that are about 20 years old, but they sourced some more, so I'm stoked. Totally.
Cheers, K 8-)