Radioactive sources

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Eggman
State/Location: VIC

Radioactive sources

Post by Eggman »

I've had a teacher here request I get him some radioactive sources(alpha, beta, gamma). Having never had dealt with something like this before I'm wondering if anyone else has. I'm looking for any information such as - where to buy sources, approx costing, amounts I should be getting, how to store/handle etc
I'm reading through the code of practice on it which has some general information on storage and handling but anyone willing to share personal experience would be appreciated.
bindi
State/Location: NSW

Post by bindi »

Eggman,
Science Supply Australia carry these scources
http://www.chemtalk.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=451
Expensive approx $225 each
We wrap them in lead foil and keep in a cash box labelled and locked and then locked in another box in our chemical store cupboard.
They also need 'swipe' testing on a regular basis (to make sure they are not leaking)
You also need a Gieger Counter to show activity
There is also a "magic" scource which simulates radioactivity but have never see one.
Good Luck
Alice
State/Location: WA

Radioactive sources

Post by Alice »

Hi Eggman

Radioactive sources are available from Haines in Victoria. approx $200 each.

You will need a lead lined, lockable box to store them in. We also have smaller lead containers, inside the box. The smaller containers are also used to transport the sources from lead lined box to the lab. Don,t know where to get the boxes from, Haines probably do.

You will also need a geiger counter, proper gloves, tongs and the trimmings etc. You are talking BIG money all up.

In WA, the teacher is the end user, therefore they have to sign the sources out and sign them back in when finished. The lab staff just store them in the correct manner and do periodic checks with the geiger counter to ensure that there are no leaks.
We are audited once a year by the Ed Department, to ensure we still have the sources.

Also, we are required by law to display radioactive signs on the entrances where the sources are kept.

Given a choice, I would not have them in the school. It's a lot of money for once a year usage.

Cheers

Alice
rp

Post by rp »

Hi
I think at Serrata you can buy a pack of the 3 types for about $450 instead of individually for $600.
I know one of them only lasts about 18months,the others some years (I think as its been a few years since I bought them )
Regards Rhonda
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree

Re: Radioactive sources

Post by ellice »

Hi all,
I've been looking back at comments on radioactive sources, and noticed someone mentioned that one of the sources had a short life. Could that be Alpha, as we haven't had much luck with it this year. Are people in the habit of replacing their sources? It's something that comes up once a year, and is then forgotten about 'til next time.
Ellice.