Test Tube Quality

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Test Tube Quality

Post by Slartibartfast »

Just opened a box of 100 test tubes from Q-Stores. 37 of the 100 smashed to shardes and the most pathetic quality of glassware myself and my HT have ever had the misfortune to encounter. We've had trouble before with the nib of glass in the bottom of the test tube. Thick glass is always welcome but unfortunantly this leaves a very thin ring of glass further up around the sides of the tube. An obvious error in manufacture. The bottoms drop out so neatly when used it is like they we're designed to do so by someone very clever indeed. If you're wondering why we've continued to purchase such things from them, I haven't. I have an ordering clerk here that changes my orders for me with an eye on being thrifty.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Re: Test Tube Quality

Post by RosalieM »

I had a similar experience earlier this year. They sent us replacements for the ones that were broken. I find sometimes when you put the bottle brush in to clean them it goes right through and, as you said, the bottom comes out so neatly! Where do other people get their test tubes from?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

From our networking meeting in Bankstown last year. We now have warnings in the test tube draw. And ask the teachers to only use, another box if they are heating a test tube. The networking meeting, told us "Their had been a case of injury due to a test tube cracking up on heating it"

Awful to think this sort of thing can happen. 8O

We purchased ours from Haines, a little dearer but worth it.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

We're going through Serrata (if our clerk doesn't change it yet again) - like you said, a little dearer but worth it. Q-stores wanted me to go through the box and count how many were broken, I told them to bugger off as I'm not prepared to cut myself to ribbons for them or anyone else.
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

I had a similar experience with evaporating basins from Q-Stores earlier this year. 4 out of 10 in the box were broken into pieces. In order for them to credit us this breakage I had to send back the broken pieces. I guess they don't trust us.
And I, too, have a gremlin in the ordering process which changes my carefully researched orders into a cheaper alternative.
Carol
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

It is a pain having your orders changed for you by someone who hasn't stepped into a lab in 60 years, but I got my own back by not accepting them (signing for them) and demanding to see my purchase request for the other supplier, she had put it in the circular file (the bin) but I had a photocopy which the senior now has. Why should we go to all this trouble of researching our purchases like you said when someone thinks they know better?! She's as mad as a box of frogs anyway.
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

We had trouble with our last lot of test tubes we got from Serata. They were OK on arrival but broke very easily either at the bottom or on the rim. When I rung to complain, I was told they had not had any other complaints so I was left feeling it was our problem.
Kathryn
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Dear Slartibartfast

You are a scream. :cheesy: Box of frogs indeed! Thats made my afternoon.

I had a lot of trouble with a "thrifty" batch of 250 ml volumetric flasks. Light as a feather and thin as paper.Flask exploded on me when I was trying to make an H2SO4 dilution.

Flask couldnt stand the rise in temp.
Fortunately I has on my PPE and was behind a safety screen.
Needless to say, I turfed them.
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

I would be very surprised if any of our office staff changed one of my Science orders. There would be hell to pay. I think those of you that have trouble in this area ought to seek out your Health and Safety rep. informing them of the problem.
Why should anyone outside of their particular expertise do the ordering? It's insane! Imagine the typewriters we could order for the office if we were in charge. It's is about time these people respected your professionalism.
Maree
pkij
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Good Shepherd Catholic College
Suburb: Mount Isa

Post by pkij »

At our College each department has its own budget. I do all the ordering for the science department even the teacher resources. The head of dept. signs the order form, and orders over $500 have to be co-signed by the principal. It is up to us how we manage our budget, I could'nt imagine anyone even knowing what half the stuff is that is ordered let alone changing the order. It is good for me too as I receipt the goods and am then able to enter them into the stock inventory.
Yes sometimes I have wondered about the quality of goods received, often the cheapest is not always the best buy.
labman
State/Location: SA

Post by labman »

Good for you, Richard. I can't believe someone else has the authority to just change your well researched orders like that! Seems a bit ridiculous to spend years aquiring all that knowledge and experience, only to have someone with NO knowledge and experience go and change it without your consent. Keep making her mad, until she gives the practice up!!
Cheers,
Lisa
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

I get virtually all my glassware from Omega Scientific in South Australia. The supplier is only a phone call away if there are any problems. He has replaced broken glassware (without me having to send back the broken bits) and if feedback from lab techs indicates that there is a problem with the quality he will try to source a more durable product at a reasonable price.

Lyn
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

That's the thing, she doesn't have the authority to change anything I do. Unfortunantly I've come across a few that aren't seniors but place themselves above other SAS staff. I just ask them their rate of pay (always the same as everyone else) and tell them they've got some growing up to do. What can they do? They don't employ me and I have no aspirations to climb the non existant ladder. Everyone knows that we in science are worth lots more. Ha! There you go, I'm rambling again! Tell me to shut up will you!!!
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

I just can not believe your SAM or Senior would change an order, perhaps they are asked to by their Prinicpal to go for cheaper items. We are asked to order as much as we can from Q-stores. If we do place an order with another company. Our SAM Senior Admin Manger askes us why.

I am so surprised that they are doing this to other people.

Shame on them
Regards Labbie

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

The SAM isn't changing the orders, it's an ordinary office clerk who happens to do the ordering. It's alright though, she does it to the General Assistant too! Makes him wait for months for things he needs urgently! I had a complex it was just me for a while but it turns out she hates all blokes! ALL OF US!! Even Brian the school goat!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
cactus155
Job Title: Senior Laboratory Guru
School: Bayview Secondary College
Suburb: Rokeby
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

Guess I am lucky then cause I just say to the office staff or whoever that I need an order form for such and such company and then I just order what I what I want from that company. We know what we want and need rather than having someone else decide for a cheaper option.
Heat + Students + Thermometers + Cheap Test Tubes = A lot of broken test tubes and 1 or 2 broken Thermometers
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Ha Ha HaHa Ha....... Thanks, Richard!

Geez, life's tough at the bottom ..... poor Brian :cry2:
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Oh poor Brian, Do'nt put her on your christmas card list.

Its good to have a laugh. :cheesy:
Regards Labbie

Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Its so true Richard. We have a lot of experience and know how, and really we have no way of promotion, therefore we get to say what goes. If the office person & you had to swop for the day, I know who would be the most bamboozeled.
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Now I've attended conflict resolution courses etc etc, keep it professional blah blah, don't pick on their personal attributes kind of inservice nonsense but the thing that I've now discovered that really works is to set Brian loose in the front office when it's really busy like at recess or when there is a medical emergency and watch the reaction. And boy is there a reaction. He doesn't like confined spaces, loud noises, bright colours, large photocopiers or people and he tends to go a bit mad. Great fun indeed. I'll do it again today and you watch the national news on telly tonight. Me unprofessional? Rubbish!
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F