vitalograph/spirometer

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
souj
State/Location: WA

vitalograph/spirometer

Post by souj »

I am looking to purchase a vitalograph with graphing capability for the Human Biol students. Some of these appear to be way over our budget but I have seen a SpirobankG which is probably at the upper end of what I want to pay but still within consideration. So my problem is this- is it worth spending the $1400 to get something that is hand held with disposable turbines and graphing capability, or should I consider a spirometer sensor for the datalogger(much cheaper at $350) but must be connected to a computer? Our teachers have real problem with the amount of spit that gets trapped in the basic spirometer we have(despite using diposable mouthpieces) and we have no capacity to get instant graphs. So what does everyone else think? :-? :unsure:
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Re: vitalograph/spirometer

Post by smiley »

Try this web site:

http://www.nationalasthma.org.au

They have all you ever might have thought you needed to know.

Cheers, K 8-)
souj
State/Location: WA

Post by souj »

Thanks, Kristin! =D> =D>
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale
State/Location: NSW

Post by ELIZABETH »

Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone out there knows the rules and regs surrounding spirometer use?
We have a teacher who has just returned to science after a fiveish year absence and he wants to use the spirometer; he hates OHS and CSIS rules (still wants to use real saliva in Yr 11 enzyme tests - yuk!). My feeling is that there's way too much chance of cross-contamination, spit being the leasat of it
Any input would be invaluable.
Thanks
LIZ
dime

Post by dime »

He may not like CSIS but that's what is there for, at least for us in the Dept. Section 3.2.4.(b) page 29 of the science section in Vol 2 says:
Use of Human tissue in experiments
Experiments using fresh human blood or fresh human tissue, eg. cheek cell smears, should not be undertaken. Teachers are to use only commercially prepared slide preparations to study the cellular components of blood and are not to undertake practical work to determine students' blood groups etc.
Seems pretty clear.
rodannt
State/Location: VIC

Post by rodannt »

I always have a giggle when I see students kissing in the yard, I want to call out " No sharing saliva it's againts the rules!"
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

Hi Darelle,
Yeah, I knew I was right but it's always nice to have some backup.
Liz
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

I keep small lengths of tubing just for using with the spirometer, so they can be disinfected before and after use.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!