A general discussion and Q & A forum.
CC
Job Title: Labbie
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn
State/Location: NSW

Who knew?

Post by CC »

Who knew that sand could be used as an abrasive for cleaning hard to get at glassware?

Well I didn't know but I do now and it works beautifully. It only took 2 years to learn. :crazy: :? Think of all that glassware I can clean again and of all the lost time trying to get it clean before. :whistling2: :whistling2:
dime

Re: Who knew?

Post by dime »

Thanks for the tip :clap3: I didn't know and I've been doing this job for over 16 years! Just how do you use it? Not sure I can entirely picture it.
Cheers
rodannt
State/Location: VIC

Post by rodannt »

To clean volumetric flasks ; I put in about a tablespoon of course sand, small ammount of water and then swirl and shake
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

Wow thanks Anne! Guess where I'll be heading when I get back to school after the holidays.... long jump pit..... shhhh don't tell the PE dept! :whistling2:
MHourigan

Post by MHourigan »

Good one Cindy
I have never heard of it before but sounds logical, hope your well haven't seen you on Chemwatch before so will be good to catch up!
Maureen
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Post by Mother »

Here's one for you all.
I have always used rice for difficult glasswear to clean, such as flat bottom flasks!!!
Cheers
Mother
Didee
State/Location: WA

Post by Didee »

I use small marble chips and a small amount of abrasive cleaner for my hard to clean glassware. Hope all have a great holiday :clap3:
Diana :grin:
Robb

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

her technique which is just as easy is to used (if your school has one) an Ultrasonicator, simply fill the glass vessel with water, turn it on and then wait until it Automatically turns off and all is clean again.

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

As some of our glass ware was so BADLY marked. I put some rice, sand and tap water, into our badly marked glass ware, put it onto the magnet stirrer machine, and left it going for about 20 mins. Its better then nappy san. Thank you all for those simple tips, I have soaked these _______________ in acid, bleach, nappy san, you name it. The sand & rice plus the stirrer have just done a wonderful job. Not that any of the teachers or head teacher would notice. But I do thank you chemtalk.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub: