Flowers for Dissection

and any other non-chem subjects.
judygee
State/Location: NSW

Flowers for Dissection

Post by judygee »

Dear All - Just need a little advice on flowers for dissection. We need to keep it very simple! Not being a gardener myself I have no idea which flowers would be suitable, could you name flowers you have found best. Many thanks. Cheers - Judy
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Re: Flowers for Dissection

Post by Jen1 »

Hibiscus! They are big and if its the right time of year, plentiful on a decent sized tree. I raid my neighbours tree for them (with their permission of course)
JudyM

Post by JudyM »

Any simple flowers that are large enough should do, as anything too small would make it difficult to see the ovules. Look for flowers which have 5 petals and 5 stamens such as azaleas or fuschias.

Good luck
Judy
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

Ahhh one I can finally comment on (being new & all....) but I've actually studied this at uni! It would depend on the time of the year as to what is blooming unless you're getting them from a florist / grower?

We studied the Fabaceae family (peas, beans, ) & also Protaceae (proteas). The Protaceae family are interesting because they have unusual flowers & therefore flower parts too.

But this was studying a particular family & looking at their formula's so I can't comment on other flowers that would be best. What about the various sorts of flower types - Bell shaped (campanula - bell flower), funnel shaped (some lilies - ), trumpet shaped (petunia), salverform (plumbago), tubular (grape hyacinth, heliotrope or lilac), urn-shaped (erica - heath), bowl shaped (poppy), lipped (salvias), pea shaped (peas), strap shaped (cosmos).

Have fun!!! Hmmmmm wonder when our lab is doing something like that............ :-|
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Our teachers like penstemons. Good flower size and can see ovules. Bad time of year to be trying to find flowers but penstemons do flower all year!!
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Rae, Rae - what ARE penstemons? ('cuse my ignorance)
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
rae

Post by rae »

They are a perennial cottage plant that grow about a meter tall and have flower spikes with about 8-10 flowers on them. The flowers are bell tubular shape about 4-5cm long. Very easy to grow don't need much water.
Hpefully I've attached a picture. These are the ones I have in my garden but there are stacks of other varieties.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Thank you Rae, I also was unsure what they looked like. Well done
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
rosaliemb
State/Location: NT

Post by rosaliemb »

Petunias are good as long they realise the five petals are fused. they grow easly and produce many flowers.
Lilies like Princess lily, are also big and clear for petals and stamens.
Complicated flowers or daisy flowers are unsuitable for beginners.
Rosalie (another one) :-)
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Thanks for the photo, Rae. I've seen those before, but the name's new to me. Do they also have a common name?
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

I like a good, large simple flower, uncomplicated without too many petals to get in the way.
Single Hibiscus are about the best. Lilies & tulips are good too.
Passionfruit and pumpkin flowers are good if you can get them ( those pumpkin are male and female seperate flowers).. but loathe to pull them off and lose the fruit that follows :cry2:
judygee

Post by judygee »

Dear All - Many thanks for your suggestions - knew I could count on you guys! And yes, not the best time of year for flower dissection pracs, but can't be helped! Once again Thanks. Judy.
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

G'day All,
I am having a dumb day so I need help more than usual. I need some flowers for dissection that I can readily buy at a florist. I have already rang asking for hibiscus but they do not seem to be available. And, after having spent much time on the net, I realise that I need to go to the oracle.
What flower, in Melbourne, would be best for dissection for our 13 years old students? Of course, these flowers are needed next week.
Can anyone help, please.
Thank you
Maree
lada

Post by lada »

Maree,
lilies are great for dissection but dear to buy , I think. We use hibiscus because we have a couple of shrubs at school.
Good luck
Lada :coffee:
rae

Post by rae »

Daffodils are great. They are simple and big enough to see all the parts. They should also be in abundant supply at the moment and you should be able to buy them at the supermarket. Isn't it daffodil day soon??

Lorrae
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Yes it is tomorrow. Daff day tomorrow.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

Thank you Lada and Lorrae. There is usually a simple answer to most things and you two have found that for me. Thanks again.
Maree
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Well obviously we have hibiscus everywhere up here, but another suggestion is to go to a florist wholesalers, or even the flower markets in VIC, and ask for the reject flowers. The ones whose stems have snapped, or have brown blotches on the petals etc. If you go in advance and explain what you want, most people are happy to give you what they were only going to write off anyway. We sent a big thank you letter on letterhead to our local wholesaler, and put a few business cards up in the staff room, as a pay off for about a garbage bag full of "seconds".
Cheers, K 8-)