National Survey Report Article

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
Teresa
State/Location: WA

National Survey Report Article

Post by Teresa »

Hi Everyone,

I would like to let you know that the report on the National Survey has not been forgotten.

I am attaching an article which is reproduced with permission from the Australian Science Teachers Association (ASTA) and taken from their journal entitled ‘Teaching Science’ in the September 2009 edition, (Volume 55, Number 3). It contains the ASTA President’s comments relating to the national school science technician report. (It starts 2/3 of the way down the first column) It is in the same edition which contains Professor Mark Hackling’s article on ‘The status of School Science Laboratory Technicians in Australian Secondary Schools’, which is a condensed version of the national survey report.

The survey was a study funded by the Australian Government DEEWR and conducted at Edith Cowan University in collaboration with ASTA and Science Education Technicians Australia (SETA). A copy of the full report can be accessed at:

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Schooling/Scien ... fault.aspx
(½ way down the page under ‘Reports and Publications’)

The report makes recommendations about training and support for technicians, levels of technician staffing/servicing of science departments and national standards. Representatives of ASTA and SETA are continuing negotiations with DEEWR regarding support for implementing the report’s recommendations.

It is heartening to know that the report has the ears and support of the national science teachers association. I will keep you posted on any developments.

Regards
Teresa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Re: National Survey Report Article

Post by Labbie »

Excellent reading, shame it was not done in NSW DET schools. Well done,
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Post by Mother »

Many,many thanks Teresa for the survey report. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Although DET public schools were unable to participate,it is very encouraging to know that there is now acknowledgement of what Techs.need and want to improve their working enviroment and also to be appreciated for the many hats that they wear on any given day, sometimes under difficult circumstances.
Some of these girls are treated with much disrespect and need to have their morale lifted for them to feel like they can work amicably with their teachers.
It will be very interesting to just see how much of the survey recommendations will be taken on board and implemented in the areas where it is most needed.
I am not a negative person usually, but in a lot of cases when surveys are undertaken like this one,nothing else happens!!!
I sincerely hope that it will continue to go forward. [-o< [-o< [-o<
Cheers
Mother
The Search Engine

Post by The Search Engine »

Really interesting reading. Thanks.

Hey, I like the bit about...

"a national online advisory service that can provide rapid, consistent and accurate advice to school science technicians on a wide range of issues."

They could call it Chemtalk! :D

Patti
The Search Engine
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Hear Hear!
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

Yes Patti that is exactly what I thought when I read that. Come on people get with the program. this is my 3rd year on chemtalk and I have found it invaluable love it \:D/
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

While chemtalk is great, I think the issue is more to do with where to go for information to get answers for all the msds questions, for example or the chemical disposal/pick-ups. None of us REALLY know what is expected, what LEGALLY needs to be done, and what is just people saying they think we need to do it... I guess also the problems of what is in our 'job description' and what we should be saying 'no' to.

I love chemtalk and all the fun stories, great advice and everything else that goes with it, but I agree that it would be good to have someone or something 'official' to give us answers!