A general discussion and Q & A forum.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo
State/Location: NSW

Red Phosphorus

Post by rae »

Hi All,

I have a container of red phosphorus that has absorbed so much moisture that it is now more a paste than a liquid.

Any ideas on how to go about dying it out? Our HOD suggested putting it in an incubator. I'm just a bit cautious about doing this.

Thanks Lorrae :-(
ri

Red phosphorus

Post by ri »

Dear rae,
I think you are very wise in not dealing with this chemical once its composition (and probably its formula) has changed. I'm sure Robb would agree. Read its MSDS and dispose of it carefully. I have had this happen to red phosphorus due to age or exposure to air. It becomes deliquescent. It can be explosive. Keep isolated and secure until you can dispose of it with a waste disposal contractor.
Cheers,
~Robyn
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Phosphorus in the past was often stored under water as a satety measure!
Just use a spatula to scrape some from bottom and place on watch glass to air dry "should not be a problem this weather"
MichPull
State/Location: QLD

Toss it

Post by MichPull »

Hello,
I am with ri on this, dispose of the entire container with a disposal company. We had some very old red and white phospherous a few year ago and even putting it in a new botttle under water, old one had broken lid, resulted is flare up.

Best policy with old and questionable chemicals is it is safter to dispose then risk an incient.

Regards
Michelle
carolg

Post by carolg »

I agree with those who suggest you dispose of it. Not worth the risk.
Carolg
Robb

Red Phosphorus

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

If you are looking at the possibility of reclaiming the Phosphorus back I would place this into a desiccator, and allow for the moisture to be absorbed by the desiccant.

This would be a safer option than leaving it out to air dry as the Phosphorus would still absorb moisture from the air, and the odour would also be a problem.

Spread this out into a evap basin or onto a watch glass to increase the surface area to be dried and wait until the desiccant does the trick.

As I mentioned earlier, this would be a safer option but personally I would dispose of this due to the moisture absorption making the P somewhat unstable.

Hope this clarifies some doubt.

Robb...
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **