Distilled water

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
lesnsw
State/Location: NSW

Distilled water

Post by lesnsw »

'Im new to all this and have a 'dumb' question; How do you make/buy distilled water? What process is best to use to make my own. We don't have a distilling unit here.
Les
Lesley
Narelle01

Re: Distilled water

Post by Narelle01 »

there are no dumb questions :wink2:

I purchased distilled water from a local supplier (Glendale Packaging)
It cost me $17 per 20L refill (i had bottles that they took away) and for $11 they delivered them.
So that meant i didn't have to drive them in my car, load or unload a small price to pay for my back!

I also chose to puchase rather than distill my own, and i read up, and it was like 100L of reg water to get 1L of distilled...and it looked like a lot of fuss.....the 5x20L i bought will last the school a while.

Good luck!
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

:wink2: If you dont live in the Sydney area I found the delivery of distilled water cost twice the price of the water itself! 8O Eventually found our local IGA store stocked it in 2L bottles and I just ring them and order a box or two whenever I needed it!
Cheers MariaC
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I recently purchased a still that does not waste water. I found out about it through another labbie here on chemtalk. I think it cost about $400 and it does 3.5L in about 4 hours. No fuss. Just put the water in, turn it on, and it turns itself off when finished. You are left with a little bit of sludge in the bottom. Wipe out with a cloth, refill and off you go again!! During the drought we were paying $20 for 20L and that was a discounted price so when you consider it only needs to make 8 bottles to pay for itself we decided it was worth it. We had one of the old ones that wasted water all day for not very much yeild and the kids would always comment on it 'leaking' (which is why we didn't use it in the drought). I am very happy with the new one. Do a search for distilled water and you will come up with a few different discussions we've already had about this topic which will provide you with more info :)

Oh, and welcome to chemtalk!!
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

Ok, I don't know where I got the 8 from!! It needs to make about 400L (20 bottles) to pay for itself which is about 114 runs. Given that there is no waste water, no wasted 20L bottles (we weren't able to get ours refilled) and no going to the shops to buy more (fuel and time), I think it was a good buy. I have probably done at least 15 runs and I've had it less than a term. It comes with its own cleaning agent which you use when the grime starts to build up, and also a replacement filter cartrige, but they don't have to be changed very often at all.
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

It must be Friday!! I will get it right eventually... I just looked it up, and the still does 4L in 3.5 hours, not 3.5L in 4 hours, so only need to do 100 runs to pay for itself! *sigh* I think I should stop thinking now (cos obviously my brain is not engaging...) and find something else to do!! Have a great long weekend everyone!!

Rosalie :)

PS lesnsw - I have sent you a PM with the website.
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

As posted previously, I buy my water @ 50c per litre, at a car battery place. Good value and easy. They have industry standards to meet so I know the water is "clean".
Cheers, K 8-)
Rita

Post by Rita »

We use more of a demineralised water.
The uniy we use is a cylindrical unit about about 350mm high and base about 170mm diameter. A hose is connected from the unit to a tap. Water passes through a cartridge (similar to water filter and you have next best to distilled water. We have had no problems for years. Maintenance has been replacing the cartridge every year or maybe less depending on volumes prepared.

The unit is
Testa ALBEN purifier
ION EXCHANGE
Resin Water Purifier

removes fluoride, chlorine, dirt, copper, lead, mercury, aluminium, insecticides and bad odours.

Purchased from CUNO PACIFIC P/L at $197.76 incl GST Cartridge/filter $140.00

Rita
lesnsw

Post by lesnsw »

Thanks every one. I shall now speak to the head teacher equiped with some info.
Les
Lesley