radioactive sources

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Courtney
State/Location: TAS

radioactive sources

Post by Courtney »

Hi all,

I was wondering whether anyone had any info on keeping radioactive sources in schools (relevant to Australia or Tasmania regulations)? I looked on the ASCC website but it didn't seem extremely helpful. Currently we have three sources, all of which I'm told exceed "recommended" limits but the other lab tech (at the college, I'm at the High School) and head of science don't want to get rid of them. I was wondering whether anyone had any documentation with actual limits or if that even exists?

Any info would be greatly appreciated,
Courtney.
cactus155
Job Title: Senior Laboratory Guru
School: Bayview Secondary College
Suburb: Rokeby

Re: radioactive sources

Post by cactus155 »

This is from the Tasmanian Radiation Protection Regulations 2006
So I would check out the Code of Practice for the Safe Use of Ionizing Radiation in Secondary Schools (1986) that is refered to.

42. Exemptions for radiation sources used in schools

(1) In this regulation –

"school" means –
(a) a school within the meaning of the Education Act 1994 that provides secondary education; or

(b) TAFE Tasmania, established under section 5 of the TAFE Tasmania Act 1997;

"Schools Code" means the Code of Practice for the Safe Use of Ionizing Radiation in Secondary Schools (1986) published by the NHMRC under the National Health and Medical Research Council Act 1992 of the Commonwealth, as in force immediately before its rescission by the NHMRC.
(2) The use, acquisition, possession and storage of a radiation source in a school are exempt from the operation of section 13(1) of the Act.

(3) The following are conditions of the exemption specified in subregulation (2):

(a) the use, acquisition, possession and storage must be done in accordance with the Schools Code;

(b) the person dealing with the radiation source must provide to the Director of Public Health an inventory of the radiation source –

(i) as soon as practicable after first dealing with the radiation source; and

(ii) subsequently every 4 years.

(4) A radiation source used or stored in a school is exempt from the operation of section 14 of the Act.

(5) It is a condition of the exemption specified in subregulation (4) that the use or storage be done in accordance with the Schools Code.
Courtney

Post by Courtney »

Thanks for that, gives me a great starting point.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Post by Labbie »

If you could send me your fax number, their is three pages in CSIS which we use in NSW DET schools, that may help you.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub: