Copper Wire

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore
State/Location: NSW

Copper Wire

Post by Robdean »

Can someone please tell me what the swg stands for when referring to copper wire?? Also I know it is becoming expensive and I think they "eat" it here - either that and the're hiding my supply in a place I haven't come across yet! No one's owning up to it! Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced supplier for bare copper wire? Much appreciated!
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Re: Copper Wire

Post by Lyn »

Robyn,
SWG means Standard Wire Gauge. It just means that wire size has been standardised. The higher the wire gauge number the smaller the diameter of the wire. So 16 gauge wire is thicker than a 24 gauge wire. Westlab Educational carry bare copper wire (14SWG to 32SWG)according to their catalogue and Omega Scientific only has 24SWG in 50g rolls. I have two different coils of copper wire from large motors (one so heavy that I can barely move it). I just cut off the lengths that I need and use steel wool to remove the lacquer coating. Saves having to buy it.
Lyn.