Diluting peroxide solution

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Diluting peroxide solution

Post by Rowyrow »

HI all,
I really hope someone is still around to help me I just got back from holidays but you hav all just started them :-( but :D .
Anywho, this is probably a stupid question but can you dilute peroxide? I have a teacher asking for 3% for a year 7 practical but I only have 6%, should I just tell her to use the 6%. She want's to use it to react with a .001M solution of potassium permanganate.
Cheers
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin

Re: Diluting peroxide solution

Post by Lyn »

Hi Rowyrow,
All you have to do to make 3% hydrogen peroxide from 6% is just halve the strength. Add 100ml distilled water to 100ml of 6% and you have 200ml of 3% solution. It is not a stupid question, just the start of term four and adjusting to the extreme heat can put you off your game.
Lyn.
Rowyrow

Post by Rowyrow »

Thanks so much Lyn! Yes the heat and humidity are a bit distracting uuugh!!! :yuck:
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah
State/Location: NSW

Post by estelle »

Diluting for dummies.
I have a 3% peroxide solution now I need 2%, 1%, 0.5% & 0.25%. @ 50mL of each ??????
How much 3% solution do I add to each 50mL or do I make the 2% then take out of that to get the 1% and then take out of that to get the 0.5% and so on.
This is for the prac using pureed liver that is stinking the place out right now.

Thanks in advance
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

I would make 100mLs of 2% (ie add 67mLs of the 3% H2O2 to 33mLs Distilled water), then take 50mLs of the 2% H2O2 and add 50mLs Distilled water to make 100mLs of 1% and just do the progressive dilutions.
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

:wink2: 3% can be bought at chemists, as can 6%. when doing dilutions I always work with the equation c1v1=c2v2 where c is concentration and v is volumn therefore in this example how much (v1) of 6% hydrogen peroxide do I need to say have 100ml (v2) of 3% hydrogen peroxide (c2):

6 x v1=3 x 100
v1=300/6
v1=50ml therefore I need to take 50ml of 6% and make up to 100ml with water to get 3%, this is a simple conversion but the equation is useful for more complex calculations, just makesure you keep your units the same on both sides of the equation :giggle: MariaC
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

Thanks guys for the replies.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

hi
This is really good website calculator, it will convert % to molarity; and from there is standard Molar dilution. Do not forget to scroll down to hydrogen peroxide in “Evaluate density of solution for” field

http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
Cheers Jazz
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Hi Estelle
Have you tried the prac using potato instead of liver?
There has been lots of discussion somewhere about this. If you search for potato you should be able to find it.
Much less mess and smell! :clap3: :clap3:
Julie