Safety training for teachers

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

Safety training for teachers

Post by Kathryn »

Hi everyone

I am to do a short presentation of chemical safety for all staff during our in-service week in January. Any tips on what I should make sure I cover?

Kathryn 8)
lada

Re: Safety training for teachers

Post by lada »

MSDS, RA, storage and handling of chemicals, different classes of dangerous and hazardous goods, usage for different years.
How to read labels, amount of chemicals allowed for storage, use of flammable cupboard
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

THeir is a step by step guide in the CSIS, with O/H as well.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

how about a strong talk on making sure that students do the right thing- safety glasses for students all the time, not sitting on benches, playing with balls or eating in the science rooms.. all the things that seem to slip some teachers minds!
YES I have had a bad day ..same teacher with 3 different classes did flame tests today. I have 8 chemicals in sets, and 8 sets for a class.
1st class one set came back with one chemical contaminated, fixed that up ready for the 2nd class.
This time 3 sets were contaminated - more work preparing for the .....3rd class. Not bad only 5 sets completely spoilt..gee what is his average today????
and on a hot day - can you imagine MY TEMPERATURE!
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

Kathryn
I'd look at proper storage of chemicals/hazardous substances. Encourage them to consider what they have in their class rooms and do they need these things. For example, one staff room had Zero weedspray, I don't know why, but they have now given it to the property department.
Go through the importance of the annual audit, why we have to do it. Tell them what an MSDS is and why they should be familiar with them.

And use the KISS prinicple - "Keep It Simple Stupid"

Good luck
M.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

Thanks for the advice everyone. This is for the whole school - teachers and support staff from kindy to YR 12. They are pretty good about chemicals because I do an annual aduit of the whole school and take away things they are not allowed. I will definately be keeping it simple (science staff are going to get another talking to at some stage!)

Kathryn
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Maybe just point out to them that when they order paints, glue, sunscreen etc (basically anything that can be consumed whether intended or not) always ask for all MSDS on the order and then they can file it away.
ana.santos
Job Title: Science lab Assistant
School: Mary Mackillop College
Suburb: Wakeley

Post by ana.santos »

Simple things to consider would be to read all labels to know whether the item is hazardous or not, so that staff/teachers would know if it would be safe for students to use. washing of hands after handling chemicals, working in ventilated area, avoid inhalation and cross contamination, washing of eyes in running water if chemicals get through, not putting chemicals near food items, not putting chemicals in food containers e.g coke bottles. be extra careful with methylated spirit especially in food warmers, flame/fume is invisible, usual cause of fire burns.

Cheers,
Ana
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

If its for the whole school, definetley mention storage.. I cringe when I visit other faculty's and see how they store chemicals in their staffrooms. If we have to store metho etc in flammable cupboards, why does the others get away with it. Also Everything labeled and colour coded (green dotsetc) if used by students. But also mention that any personal chemicals has to be on school chem register... Most don't have a clue.
Person protection also is a good topic.. shoes, hair tied back..(watch the evil eye from all the high heeled English teachers glare:):):):)
Trish