Specium jars or what for crystal gardens?????

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Wato
School: Hennessy Catholic College
Suburb: Young
State/Location: NSW

Specium jars or what for crystal gardens?????

Post by Wato »

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what people used for making crystal gardens in........We were using specium jars but I have run out :cry2: and not sure where to get them from as they were here when I started.......

Thanks
Donna
ri

Re: Specium jars or what for crystal gardens?????

Post by ri »

Hi Donna,
we use 600mL beakers bearing in mind that the solution sometimes can be hard to clean out. At least with the beakers you can get inside them to scour.
Good Luck,
~Robyn
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

Hi Donna,
We get the kids to bring a small jar from home. Needs to be small so we don't use too much solution. Most bring one in as they don't get to do the experiment if they don't.
Helen
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Not sure if making crystal garden is the same as growing crystal? :unsure: ?? We use plastic petri dishes or watch glasses to grow crystal, if that helps at all
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Crystal gardens are different from growing crystals.
You need a clear container of some sort to contain some waterglass solution and add small crystals of various chemicals (you will find lists invarious texts if you look it up. I'm not at work so I don't have it with me). The crystals sit on the bottom of the solution and usually in a very short time they will send out a colourful shoot towards the surface. I don't know the chemical terminology for the process, but it's a great visual for the kids and the colours can be quite spectacular.
If you have trouble finding the info let me know. I'll be back at work on tuesday or wednesday (I've just been to the conference in St Marys and will be attending CSIS training on monday, flying home tuesday) and can fax you my very old instructions.
Small jam jars are the way to go. easy to see through them and don't have to get them spotlessly clean afterwards.

Julie :coffee:
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

I solved the jar dilema after many years of trial. I found that tall GAS JARS are perfect. :wink2: